NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» BS? Is anyone able to help please…
lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  EmptyToday at 16:06 by tabbyland

» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug

3 posters

Go down

lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  Empty Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug

Post  Maryr Sun 14 May - 11:41

This little hotel jug has been re-glazed and trimmed with gold, then re-fired by Joyce Crump from Waikanae. I can't find any reference to her on Google. Jug is size 1, height 8 cm.
lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  Crown_10lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  Crown_11lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  Crown_12
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  Empty Re: Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug

Post  Ev Sun 14 May - 14:22

Joyce would have been a China Painter. 
China painters bought plain glazed pieces of pottery from many different sources and painted them beautifully with china paints.  Then the pieces were fired again at a low temperature, enough to meld to paint to the glaze.
There were groups of china painters all over New Zealand in the 1980's, 1990's and 2000's and there probably are still some around.
Many a piece of Crown Lynn crockery was painted on by these artists.
Quentin and Kathy Whitehouse ran china painting classes several times a week as a part of their Pottery supply business in Mt Albert and they supplied the blanks and the paints and the kiln facility.  It was a rather expensive hobby I thought, as it cost you at every step.
I don't think anyone is recording the names of these talented people and there would be many.
I think I should make a China Painters category and pop this post into it.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  Empty Re: Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug

Post  Maryr Sun 14 May - 14:59

Excellent Ev. I will find more to add to the new category!  I do see the painted China around but most of it looks a bit try-hard, so I leave it behind. I will photograph pieces in future and record any signatures.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Haeata Sun 13 Jun - 18:17

Just brought this cute little piece of Joyce Crumps from Trash Palace in Porirua..

lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  20210615
lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  20210614
lynn - Joyce Crump China Painter on Crown Lynn jug  20210616

Haeata

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2021-06-13

Ev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum