NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
vase - Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones" EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
vase - Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones" EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
vase - Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones" EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
vase - Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones" EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
vase - Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones" EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
vase - Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones" EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
vase - Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones" EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
vase - Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones" EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
vase - Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones" EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones"

3 posters

Go down

vase - Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones" Empty Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones"

Post  L1amv23 Wed 5 Jul - 15:01

I've come across this red vase with flowers on it, there is no factory mark just "K.JONES" painted on the bottom under the glaze. I can't find any information online, does anyone have any knowledge of a K.Jones?

vase - Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones" Thumbn10
vase - Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones" Thumbn11

L1amv23

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-07-05

Back to top Go down

vase - Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones" Empty Re: Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones"

Post  Ev Wed 5 Jul - 15:21

Hi there L1amv23 and welcome to the Forum Very Happy

That is a very beautiful vase and has a fabulous glaze on it.
I wish I could tell you who K. Jones is, but I have no idea.
I've never seen that vase shape before.
Hoping that someone may be able to give you some help.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17667
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

vase - Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones" Empty Re: Red Floral Vase marked "K.Jones"

Post  L1amv23 Fri 14 Jul - 15:01

Thanks for the warm welcome, it doesn't appear anyone knows anything about the maker though. Oh well! It's still a nice piece anyway

L1amv23

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 14 Jul - 20:16

L1amv23,
This reminds me so much of a pair of antique Art Nouveau vases I have, but the foot looks kind of Chinese.

I'm not very good with flowers so if someone can say what this flower is it might help.

My vases are majolica glaze and being Art Nouveau are primarily green in colour. I have no idea of their country of origin: they might be English, but could alternatively be from mainland Europe.

I think we can safely say that your vase is castware, that is that it was made in a mould. Next thing is to work out whether it is an original piece or a later reproduction. If you have followed newzealandpottery for some time you may have read about Hobby Ceramics, a phenomenon of the 1980s onward where existing moulds were used to create lightweight pottery for hobbyists to decorate in hobby classes. That ware is usually glazed underneath like yours, may have marks from stilts used to keep the glazed bottom from sticking to the kiln shelves, and have a name or initials, usually scratched into the clay.

If you think this piece is lighter than you would expect it to be it may be a hobby piece or alternatively a piece sold as greenware or bisque ware, which was also sold for others to decorate.

If you think the weight is substantial then it may be an original piece but the combination of the beautifully modelled flower and lack of a full foot ring does not seem right to me. It does have the small feet, but they are glazed over, which is not the usual practice of a professional potter.

That flower just looks so familiar, but I cannot look at my vases atm because I am overseas. I will look when I get back Monday and add more if I think it could be useful to you.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum