NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) EmptyToday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) EmptyToday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) EmptyToday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) EmptyToday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) EmptyToday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) EmptyToday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) EmptyToday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) EmptyToday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) EmptyToday at 8:48 by Ev

a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added)

3 posters

Go down

pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) Empty a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added)

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 31 Jul - 9:23

Here's the best bit of my weekend trademe pickup in Auckland: a new Cook & Serve pattern.

(I was able to post it on the Skite Site Saturday because I can do that from iPad but I can only post pics here from computer.)
pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) Cs10
28E, Viking?

So, up to speed we are looking for a pattern name and Ev has suggested Viking 446 or Viking 458 which I agree is certainly worth thinking about. Up until now I had thought Viking sets included plain-colour cups but Ev has always been skeptical of that.

All Viking saucers I have seen so far are black so I will pull one out and see what they look like together.

The colours depicted here are reasonably accurate.

Obviously it has no backstamp, but like the plain cans it does have an impressed mark underneath, which I've only just discovered. In the right light I can clearly see "28E".

So, here's an Athens can on a black Athens saucer and the new can on a Viking 458 saucer. This Athens cup has a backstamp, and also has an impressed 28E.
pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) Viking10
Athens, and Viking?

My only quibble would be that the Athens pattern includes black and the new one does not.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) Empty Re: a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added)

Post  Ev Tue 1 Aug - 7:13

I was hoping that you would show the new cup on the black saucer and I think it looks classy. Thanks Jeremy. I will check the records to see where Viking shows up when I get a chance.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) Empty Re: a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added)

Post  Ev Wed 2 Aug - 11:20

I didn't have to look far, as three quarters of the way down the first page from the Deco Advices that start around 1964 reads:

Viking 446
Viking 458
Form 832
Allegro 456
Image 457
Athens 465

Page 2 shows
Saraband 869
Bermuda 870
Tacoma 871

Page 3 shows
Napoli 885
Sparta 886
Conifer 917

Page 4
Danzig 935 (this is just before Dorothy Thorpe patterns.)
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 2 Aug - 15:41

Are these all designs to be found on the cans?

I see Sparta there and the 3012 cans did not start until 1965 so there may be a Sparta can to watch for.

All the patterns but Sparta and Viking are known can patterns and some are 3012.

Watch this space for more on the subject from Kat.

Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 2 Aug - 15:43

These just have the pattern names Jeremy, except Danzig which also has the shape numbers.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Wed 2 Aug - 16:59

I don't usually take an interest in CL coffee cans..
but I bought these mint ones this afternoon $1 each & rang Jeremy to tell him Im adding to his collection..& the great coffee can debate Very Happy  
The saucer that is readable says Viking 458 & they are with yellow & antique green (best decription I can think of) now I have my glasses on.

pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) Img_5710
pattern - a new Cook & Serve pattern (another picture added) Img_5711
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 2 Aug - 17:24

Wow Kat how convenient to get these right now. The greeny colour could be Oyster.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Wed 2 Aug - 18:13

Yes its an amazing coincidence.. & Oyster sounds better for the colour, will take them over to Brooks tomorrow & get 'group' opinion too. cat
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 2 Aug - 18:25

Does Jeremy have these coloured cans?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 2 Aug - 18:55

I thought from Kat's description on the phone that I didn't have the green but it turns out to be what I called Oyster. With the yellow you never can tell which it is.

Curiously, I wrote in the Viking topic

"I think the oyster cans must surely be a proper Viking colour. One or both the yellows too as nothing else has appeared for them."

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t4324-viking-plain-coloured-cook-serve-cans#32689

Then maybe they are. Until we get a can with a stamp, or some records turns up we can only speculate. Vision was resolved: I'm sure Viking will be too.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum