NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn

+5
signal red
Ducks Nuts
mrnarna
Marl474
Ev
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Empty Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn

Post  Ev Sun 28 Feb - 17:22

Photos courtesy of Manos
dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Monter10

and the backstamp...
dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Monter11

Last edited by Ev on Tue 8 Nov - 10:56; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Empty Monterrey d473 Ball handled cup and saucer

Post  Marl474 Sun 20 Feb - 13:49

Husband picked this up at a garage sale also some time ago.
Marl474
Marl474

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Empty Re: Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn

Post  mrnarna Sun 20 Feb - 15:47

you must love him !!
its stunning
mrnarna
mrnarna

Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2010-05-04

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mrnarna/

Back to top Go down

dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Empty Re: Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn

Post  Marl474 Sun 20 Feb - 16:03

Yes, he did well, 3 cups and 1 saucer on this occasion!
Marl474
Marl474

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 20 Feb - 16:35

A fantastic find there Mr Marl474 Very Happy
After seeing all of the Dorothy Thorpe range at the Exhibition, this pattern is my favourite Cool
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Empty Monterrey d473 plate

Post  Ev Tue 8 Nov - 10:55

Monterrey plate from Billy Apple's collection in the Crown Lynn: Pottery for the People Exhibition at the Gus Fisher Gallery Auckland.

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Empty Monterrey lunch plate

Post  Marl474 Tue 8 Nov - 15:36

dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Monter10dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Monter11
The lunch plate is different from the dinner & B&B & saucer, they all have the white raised pattern on them. I have a ball handled cup and jug if you need pics of those.Cheers, marl have added a better pic of the Monterrey dinner plate as welldorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Monter12 Husband says that maybe the lunch plate should have the pattern onit? Who's to know.

Last edited by Marl474 on Tue 8 Nov - 17:02; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to add a nother picture)
Marl474
Marl474

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 8 Nov - 18:22

Where have you been hiding such beautiful pics Marl?
I couldn't get a really good shot, but had a go anyway.
Will use your pic for the Gallery thanks.
Your hubby could be right, as NZ was given a lot of seconds at the expense of export top quality.... ?
PS when I googled Dorothy Thorpe this and that today a million times .... your Monterrey ball handled cup and saucer came up many times as it has been picked up by so many search engines affraid
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Marl474 Tue 8 Nov - 19:33

Hi Ev, I just checked back to when I got my Ball Handled C&S. My husband went to a garage sale locally in October 2007, paid $20 for a big box of stuff and when he got home it had in it 3 ball handled cups (one chipped) and 2 Monterrey saucers!!! When we costed out the purchase by piece it came to 49c per piece. Sold the spares at a profit and kept one set for me. A never to be repeated lucky break!! cheers, marl
Marl474
Marl474

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 9 Nov - 7:35

An amazing story Marl !
I'm going to add your Ball Handled Cup post to this thread to keep it all together.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Marl474 Wed 9 Nov - 9:25

Thanks Ev, sorry, seem to have got the number of saucers wrong!
Marl474
Marl474

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducks Nuts Thu 24 Nov - 23:11

Some Monterrey from my collection.

dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn 009
Ducks Nuts
Ducks Nuts

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Fabo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 25 Nov - 6:51

Such a lovely set! Yes it's definitely my favourite Dorothy Thorpe pattern!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducks Nuts Fri 12 Jul - 20:55

A sample of Monterrey from my collection.

dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Image-6
Ducks Nuts
Ducks Nuts

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 12 Jul - 21:29

That is spectacular Duckie !
How would your collection compare to Billy Apple's one?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducks Nuts Fri 12 Jul - 21:47

Well that's an interesting question Ev. Billy's collection has for a long time been considered the biggest, I would say that's very debatable. My collection consists of about 350 pieces of Dorothy Thorpe, I have all the patterns but there are a few pieces that have been very elusive.

Billy's collection is well known and has been for some time, my collection up until recently has been quite a private collection, I've only disclosed snippets over time, but it must be obvious to you and possibly others that my collection is substantial.
Ducks Nuts
Ducks Nuts

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 13 Jul - 15:20

Billy gets all of the publicity and is at the Auckland art gallery this month with his dot Thorpe in a 1960's design show.  I wonder if such things happen because he has a high profile in the art world?

Last edited by Ev on Sun 18 Aug - 19:56; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  signal red Sat 13 Jul - 16:58

Sometimes its who you rub shoulders with rather than who you are if you know what i mean

signal red

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducks Nuts Sun 18 Aug - 19:53

I think you're both correct, a high profile and mates in the right places has earned Billy and his collection exposure, if exposure is what he's been looking for then its worked well for him.

It doesn't disturb me that he gets all the attention, he has a fantastic collection that's worth showing off. It does intrigue me a little that people who would consider themselves 'in the know' are naive enough to think there is nothing else out there comparative. I've not really been into publicly exposing my collection, like I've said before its been very much a private collection and whilst I could be encouraged to exhibit in the future, right now I'm very happy keeping it private.
Ducks Nuts
Ducks Nuts

Back to top Go down

Post  bopmum Tue 3 Sep - 16:43

I saw a Monterrey dinner plate today at a Antique store in Cambridge they wanted $125. At the same store they also had a palm springs ball shaped gravy jug but with a oval handle, price $195.
bopmum
bopmum

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post  urbin Mon 28 Apr - 15:39

Hello,

I'm brand new here and have stumbled into the forum as I've just unwrapped a box of "junk" that my parents gave me many years ago to go flatting which includes three Monterrey dinner plates and five (I think) what I'd call bread and butter plates (they don't have the saucer depression). I also have a sneaking suspicion that the salad bowl (in the plain grey/brown) is also in the same collection, although I haven't looked at the bottom to check. The others certainly have the stamp on the bottom and I remember our family using them in the late 70s/early 80s. I also remember mum having some of those cups but they don't seem to have survived.

I must admit I have very little use for these, is there much of a market for them?

urbin

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 28 Apr - 15:46

Hi there urbin and welcome to the site Smile
Yes all of the Dorothy Thorpe patterns are collectable, especially the ball handle cups and jugs.  The plates are sought after as well, as you can see from this auction that was on Trade Me recently.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/bowls-dishes/auction-710819203.htm

Trade Me would be the best way to sell them I would say, as that way you would reach all of the fanatical collectors out there Very Happy
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  urbin Mon 28 Apr - 15:52

Thanks Ev that's very encouraging!

I might take some pictures when I get home so the fanatical collectors can have a wee look and tell me if I have the real deal Smile

It'd be lovely if they did end up with someone who would really appreciate them!

Edit: if I should be posting this as a new thread please let me know Smile

urbin

Back to top Go down

dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Empty Pics

Post  urbin Mon 28 Apr - 18:44

Here are the plates:
dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Photo_13

and the bowl:

dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Photo_14
Now that I look at it closely the bowl has some small chips around the edge so I suspect it's not going to be particularly sought-after Smile

urbin

Back to top Go down

dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn Empty monterrey D. Thorpe

Post  JanPots Sun 23 Apr - 11:11

I guess I am bragging .... but I was in Melbourne last weekend and wandering around looking at allsorts of collectables, when I caught sight of a dinner plate.
I picked it up and said to myself " you have to be kidding 7 buks !!! ?
So.... I bought it; wow.. I could not believe the price. Also the white lace part is embossed and has a rough texture. Its such a pretty plate to see close up... very happy lady Very Happy
dorothy - Monterrey d473 by Dorothy Thorpe for Crown Lynn 20170412
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2110
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum