NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape

Go down

Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape Empty Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 8 Sep - 9:17

Brendan Adams castware mug shape made and decorated by Bruce Haliday.
Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape Bh110
Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape Bh210

I photographed this at a friend's place (along with a couple of other unidentified mugs) on my last visit to Auckland and posted it on Facebook as maker unknown. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1573958186000912&set=pcb.876599912490041&type=3&ifg=1

Bruce Haliday replied:
"The one with the feet is from about 1987 - 88, The form (mould) is Brendan Adams, although I made it and decorated it. It was his first cup I think, Long story. tell you more later."

And later:
"Sorry, I had to take the kids to school... So anyway, This form came from a time Brendan came to work at Sue and my studio in Titirangi. Brendan made the mould and made some versions, (same form but with other decoration) but I think he didn't want to make cups, more bigger things I think. So he stopped making it, I was making cups (paying the rent with them) so with his permission I started making it. We were working on the same table so, just a matter of moving the casting across the table really. I did them in a few patterns. This one I possibly made a 100 of probably more. But there were other patterns. When I came back from London and started up Out Of The Blue Workshops with Brendan, I gave him back the mould and I am pretty sure he made some more. If I remember there was a slight design fault (although not major). The handle was quite big and heavy, so without fluid in them to weigh it down they could fall over and onto the handle, wasn't major. I just cast them thicker to give more weight to the mug. I have some other pictures. I will post if I find them."
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape Empty Re: Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 2 Mar - 14:07

I have one of my own now.

I'm awaiting word from Bruce Haliday as to who was the decorator.
Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape Image65
Brendan Adams castware mug with sgraffito decoration
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape Empty Re: Bruce Haliday in the wild: decorated Brendan Adams mug shape

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 2 Mar - 17:11

Bruce Haliday has told that this is indded his, 87-89ish, and reminded me that he made the mug from Brendan's mould as well as decorating it.

I was very tempted to hassle Andrew into letting me have his so I feel great on two counts to have found my own.

BTW, my immediate thoughts on spotting this were "Bruce Haliday Bruce Haliday Bruce Haliday etc" !!!
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum