NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
vase - The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
vase - The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
vase - The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
vase - The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
vase - The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
vase - The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
vase - The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
vase - The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
vase - The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please

3 posters

Go down

vase - The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please Empty The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please

Post  Maryr Mon 8 Oct - 11:40

At Whangarei Antique Fair I came across this lovely vase. It is the only one I have ever seen. I didn't buy it... and wonder now whether perhaps I should have! Hopefully it is in someone else's collection by now. The seller told me she had found in in the Salvation Army shop, covered in tobacco smoke and grease. She cleaned it very carefully.
Anyway. Oakpot, would you be able to tell us where this blank was made, and some approx dates if possible.
It is a beautiful piece, and features in Gail Henry's second book.
vase - The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please Salisb10
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

vase - The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please Empty Re: The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please

Post  oakpot Sat 13 Oct - 15:25

Hi Maryr,
Extracts from Owen Salisbury's notes.

After Sparton Pottery closed in 1946, Norm Stevens a capable engineer who helped build the first Crown Lynn kiln knew about slip-cast pottery.
He built a oil fired kiln and started making pottery.Owen would drive to Henderson with a trailer to collect his ware and decorate it at the Royal Oak factory.

Cam Brown ( Sherwood Pottery) was making slip-cast pottery in a small electric kiln at Waitakere

My thoughts are the small items ie cacti pots were from Sherwood.The larger items ie the  fish vase came from Norm Stevens .Date appro.1949.

oakpot.

PS: I paid $135 for mine off TM + freight

oakpot

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2016-03-20

Back to top Go down

vase - The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please Empty Re: The beautiful fish vase - Oakpot can you help please

Post  Ev Sun 14 Oct - 10:09

Excellent information thank you oakpot.
Especially the mention of the small electric kiln used by Sherwood, which would certainly limit the size of the pieces made.
I think Gail Henry mentions Norm Stevens in her books and I will check that out too.
You certainly don't see many of these around and they are really quite unique.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sun 14 Oct - 11:42

Thank you very much for that info Oakpot.
That vase is a real treasure.
I should have bought it!
All the best
ValM
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum