NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away. EmptyToday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away. EmptyToday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away. EmptyToday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away. EmptyYesterday at 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away. EmptyYesterday at 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away. EmptyYesterday at 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away. EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away. EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away. EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away.

3 posters

Go down

Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away. Empty Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away.

Post  Ev Sun 24 Jul - 13:18

Very saddened by this unexpected news and now realise that I haven't seen him since the beginning of the year.

Manos was a big fan of this site and very generously let us use his photos and knowledge when we first started, helping to fill out the Shapes Catalogues with his rare pieces of Crown Lynn and NZ Pottery.

He was always available to discuss pottery with and to ask questions.  He loved NZ Pottery and would travel down to the South Island most years to gather more for his collection.

OMG his collection of pottery is better than any Museum !!  He would happily let any enthusiasts check out his lot and every time I visited there were even more pieces added that were special.  He had such a knack at finding rare and hard to find pieces.

Titian was one of his special collections, though he had many collections including old Crown Lynn, Spartan, Crum, Luke Adams etc etc etc and he was proud of them all.  It always tickled me how a new New Zealander from Greece had the best pottery collection that I had ever seen.  

My heart is heavy and sad, especially for his family here and in Greece.
Condolences to all of you.
Such a proud man filled with generosity.
Such a huge loss to the pottery world of New Zealand ....
Thank you for everything :manos:
Yes he even has his own emoji on the site x
Arohanui Manos xxxx

Last edited by Ev on Thu 11 Aug - 8:13; edited 2 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

JanPots, Melita, Rob Clark and sandra17 like this post

Back to top Go down

Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away. Empty Re: Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away.

Post  Maryr Mon 25 Jul - 11:41

Yes Ev, I agree with everything you say about Manos.  He was always so good to me with my Crown Lynn enquiries.  He would dig treasures out of boxes, and allow me to take them away to photograph.
He had a huge and comprehensive knowledge of NZ ceramics.
In his memory, here is his lovely little swan. It even had a CL sticker on the base. I have never seen another like it.
Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away. X_mano10
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Ev and JanPots like this post

Back to top Go down

Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away. Empty Re: Devastating news to hear that Manos Sourris has passed away.

Post  haselnuss Mon 8 Aug - 19:53

That's very sad.
My sincere condolences to Judith, Mano's friends and family.
Manos visited us a few years ago and it was a great experience for all of us.
Stu and I often remember and talk about that day.

haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Ev and Maryr like this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum