NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan

+4
haselnuss
Kat & Co.
mumof1
Ev
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 Empty Re: This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan

Post  haselnuss Thu 27 Feb - 17:19

Hello, the brown shell vase has the number 631 and an incised 7.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 Empty Re: This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan

Post  Ev Thu 27 Feb - 18:25

Hi does the brown one have a base rather than a flat bottom?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Sat 1 Mar - 18:52

Hello, The brown vase has a base and is the same size as all the numbered 631.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 29 Aug - 13:19

I saw this shell at the Antiques Fair yesterday and it was with a shape 631 shell vase decorated in the same colours.
Both vases have a flat base with no makers stamps or numbers.
This shell looked familiar and I got it in case it is in one of the many shell drawings that are in the Crown Lynn records.

I can't find a match, but now I have a feeling that it and the 631 flat based vases are not Crown Lynn.  The shell feels very light for it's size.  The details on the flat bottomed shell vases above are not as pronounced as they are on the Crown Lynn shell vases and we need to find out who made them.

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 Shell10

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 Shell_10

Last edited by Ev on Sun 4 Sep - 14:05; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 4 Sep - 14:04

I just found this shell vase in the Salisbury/Royal Oak Catalogues, so my first thought was right that this shell and the shell vase were decorated by Salisbury.
Now to find out who made them !!!!  I've blown up the photo from the catalogue and it's in the middle.  I will add it to the Salisbury/Royal Oak Gallery.

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 Shell_10
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Sun 4 Sep - 16:06

Nice shell shape too! Cool
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Mon 5 Sep - 7:51

My Royal Oak contact said that sometimes they went to CL with shapes and asked CL to make them, so this is possible.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 13 Sep - 6:33

The Shell vase like the 631 but with a flat base  matching the snail shell vase that I purchased has been listed -
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1160000947

We have a list from the Modellers records that shows all of the shapes that were made for Royal Oak/Salisbury and they all have shape numbers Val.  I will dig it out one day.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  oakpot Tue 13 Sep - 19:57

The small shell vase with the so called....flat horrible bottoms!   
was made at AMBRICO for Royal Oak decorated by Ted Hart.
The larger 631 shape was made at CROWN LYNN for Royal Oak and decorated by Darryl Hargreaves.
The brown glazed one with the top dip, possibly glazed by Owen Salisbury

oakpot

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2016-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Wed 14 Sep - 8:00

Thanks for this information Oakpot. It can be difficult to sort out what actually happened when there are so many variations on the same theme.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 14 Sep - 8:15

Thanks oakpot for your information.
Here is a link to the Shapes that were made for Owen Salisbury from 1960 to 1964 and it includes the 631 Shell vase.

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t5839-shapes-in-the-crown-lynn-modellers-book-for-owen-salisbury
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  - Page 2 Empty Hargreaves and Hargreaves

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 14 Sep - 12:28

oakpot wrote:The larger 631 shape was made at CROWN LYNN for Royal Oak and decorated by Darryl Hargreaves.

oakpot,
Was Darryl Hargreaves in any way related to Harry Hargreaves, designer of Wharetana?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  oakpot Thu 15 Sep - 18:46

Jeremy,
Darryl is the son of Harry Hargreaves,he worked at Crown Lynn before moving to Royal Oak as a decorator of ceramics.There were many families working at C L during this period.

oakpot

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2016-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Titiangirl Fri 2 Feb - 11:09

I've read through all the comments on this page about this scallop shell vase. I'm positive it's been decorated by Salisbury's for the Royal Oak brand as it's painted not glazed. On page 149 of Gail Henry's second book it mentions that Titian also supplied bisque pieces to them. On the base of my scallop vase is the 631 which is what is being discussed. However there is a T just above the numbers which has been scratched in rather than being part of the number. See photo. I'm wondering if the T represents Titian or something else. Just curious. Or am I throwing a spanner into the works?
Titiangirl
Titiangirl

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2018-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 2 Feb - 20:15

Hi Titiangirl, we have made only a little progress identifying the Titian/Sherwood ware that was decorated by Salisbury's. Please check out the Salisbury Gallery to see what we have found so far ... plus there are many unsolved mysteries, but I don't have time to go into them atm, but promise to get back to you in a day or so ...

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/gallery/Salisbury-Ware-Royal-Oak-Vases-and-Artware/Salisbury-Ware-Royal-Oak-Vases-and-Artware-cat_c75.htm

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Titiangirl Fri 2 Feb - 21:19

Thanks for link Ev and getting back to me. Apologies for not hunting that page out previously before asking about my scallop vase. It certainly looks obvious that CL made it and supplied it to Salisbury/Royal Oak. When I get a bit more time I'll do a hunt the link session. Thanks again.
Titiangirl
Titiangirl

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2018-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 3 Feb - 6:06

As I said, this subject is unresolved as there are two different sized shells and one has a flat base and the 631 has a base and the flotsam surrounding the base is less pronounced on the smaller one.  So we really need to sort this out.
I do wish that I had got the one that went with the shell I have as it was decorated in the same way and I could have compared them more easily.  However I had spent enough by then, so I passed on the shell and will have to wait for another to come along with the flat base.

Edits to add:
Has anyone got the Sherwood Nautilus vase on a stand and a flat based Shell vase to compare the ,modelling style?  oakpot knew who decorated my shell above and said it was from Ambrico days.  Sherwood were also supplying Salisbury in the Ambrico days, so you can see where I am going with this.  It makes sense to me as the shell I have is beautifully made, but isn't in the Crown Lynn/Ambrico records.  The 631 is in the Crown Lynn records.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 4 Feb - 12:03

Titiangirl here is a link to Salisbury ware catalogues from the early 1940's.  The first two photos in particular.  The second photo has the Shell vase in it that this topic is about.
So far we know that they sourced the high fired bisque ware from Spartan, Sherwood and Ambrico.

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t5834-salisbury-catalogues-etc
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 19 Jun - 9:58

Cam Brown has let us know that he has a memory of Titian making a shell vase like these for Salisbury to decorate in the early 1950's, but he doesn't remember them as being so ornate.

A huge breakthrough cheers
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 20 Mar - 16:56

Sorted after all of these years cheers

This shell vase is very similar to the Crown Lynn Shape 631, however Crown Lynn didn't make them until the 1960's and these are in the Salisbury Catalogues from the 1940's.
These have flat bases, no footring and no numbers and are smaller.
It is so wonderful to have this sorted at last as made by Spartan!!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Kat & Co. likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum