NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... EmptyToday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... EmptyToday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... EmptyToday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... EmptyToday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... EmptyToday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... EmptyToday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... EmptyToday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... EmptyToday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... EmptyToday at 8:48 by Ev

Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please ....

+4
Kat & Co.
mumof1
Jonno
Ev
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Empty Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please ....

Post  Ev Wed 6 Feb - 14:42

I haven't come across one like this before.  It is much larger than the lady-like so called tulip cup.  Not much taller, but definitely wider, but a similar shape to the tulip.  
Is it a breakfast cup?  Or is there another name for it that I can't think of?  
It is the same colour as the Honeystone cups that I have.
Would appreciate some info thanks.

jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Large_10

Tulip on the left - big tulip on the right -
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Cups10l

Nothing on the base of the big cup, the tulip has New Zealand  -
The diameter of the big cup base is very noticeable in this shot -
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Cups_b10

Last edited by Ev on Mon 16 Jun - 12:12; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Empty Need help with this cup please ....

Post  Jonno Thu 7 Feb - 20:30

Is this a Crown Lynn cup?? I am curious that there is no mark whatsoever on the base.
Whilst Crown Lynn generally omitted any shape number or other ID on cups after a
quick check of cups and mugs in my collection and they ALL have at least New Zealand on the base either moulded or printed or in some cases both. Suspect Suspect
Jonno
Jonno

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Back to top Go down

jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Empty Re: Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please ....

Post  Ev Thu 7 Feb - 20:41

This auction looks like the same cup -
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/cups-saucers/auction-560625041.htm
I'm fairly certain that I have 'tulip' cups without anything on the base, but will have to check it out.
This cup feels like Crown Lynn, it's a jumbo cup .... did CLynn make them this big??
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Empty Re: Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please ....

Post  mumof1 Thu 7 Feb - 22:54

I would like to know the answer to that too! I have seen several cups like this, only to find they have no marking. I seem to remember someone somewhere (how vague can one get lol) saying they were English, so have never bothered, although they looked like tulips to me.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2359
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 8 Feb - 7:36

Check this out ...

jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Dinner10

I wish there were measurements for these!
I probably have this info somewhere... just have to find it.
The Breakfast cup looks like a different shape to the coffee and tea cups ...?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 13 Feb - 16:13

Now I have a speckled cup that looks like that one Ev.
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Dsc04110
I discounted it as Crown Lynn because it had no marking on the base
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Dsc04111
Plain white inside. Measures 75mm high and 100mm diameter at the top sunny
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Empty Check out Crown Lynn Book

Post  Kat & Co. Tue 19 Feb - 9:24

Theres a blue cup this big on the cover of Val Monks Book its sitting on a normal size saucer..
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Tue 19 Feb - 14:51

Why Kat you are right affraid How did we all miss that I wonder? Great spotting I say sunny
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Empty The big size saucers are marked CL.

Post  Kat & Co. Tue 19 Feb - 16:59

We have come across these before... the cups are unmarked but the matching saucers have CL backstamp.
These must be the Breakfast Cup. Smile
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 19 Feb - 18:24

Well blow me down ...... that cup is way too big for it's saucer on the cover of Val Monk's book ....... :O2laugh:
Would only have looked at that pic around 999 times and never noticed that before ~.~
Thanks Kat as it looks like we are on the right track after all !!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Mon 15 Apr - 20:56

I thought this may be of interest, none of the cups are marked ...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/cups-saucers/auction-582839605.htm
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Empty Large Fleurette cup

Post  Marl474 Tue 16 Apr - 10:28

Scored this cup and saucer recently along with other pieces of Fleurette. The cup is the same size as the ones shown on this topic, 10cm across and 7.5cm high.jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Fleure10jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Fleure11jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Fleure12
Marl474
Marl474

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 16 Apr - 19:13

Excellent Marl thank you, as I have a note jotted down somewhere about an unusual cup number in the Fleurette pattern ..... just have to find it now .....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 17 Apr - 9:50

How amazing ... I found it!
Knew it couldn't be far away as I only noted it down recently.

3016 [Cup shape] / 4017 [saucer shape] Fleurette and Silver Maple in the Deco Advices.

The records show -
3016 - Same as 3613 (Father's)
3613 - Breakfast Cup as 3016 [cup shapes starting with 36 are vitrified]
Does anyone have a Father's cup??

Let me ponder on this ......
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 18 Apr - 16:48

Here is a Breakfast cup courtesy of Charmaine which she called a Grandfather cup and it just happens to be fleurette -

jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Fleure10

I know it's a Breakfast cup because of this diagram -
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... Dinner10

The only references to a Breakfast cup are these entries -

802 - Breakfast Cup - Earthenware
832 - Breakfast Cup - Earthenware
3016 - same as 3613 (Father's) Earthenware -first made 14.7.65
3613 - Breakfast Cup as 3016 Vitrified - first made 6.12.65

So I'm leaning towards this shape to be probably 832 in three digits and 3016 in Earthenware and 3613 in Vitrified ware ....... which only helps to eliminate another shape while trying to find the Jumbo shape Razz
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Tue 23 Apr - 16:27

here is another of those cups, again unmarked http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/cups-saucers/auction-583884305.htm sunny
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 14 Aug - 8:28

An example of the Silver Maple jumbo cup http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/plates-platters/auction-626429928.htm
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bopmum Wed 14 Aug - 8:31

I noticed this traders listing last night, gosh she has some nice pieces for sale.
bopmum
bopmum

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 26 Jan - 9:28

Bumps for Janice ...... check out the Fleurette shapes
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Sun 26 Jan - 9:50

I see that now!! look at the handle .. another handle shape I have not seen on the fluerette cup ...
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 12 May - 13:46

I don't have any Jumbo cup saucers, but there is a Fleurette on in this thread that Marl posted ..... go back a page. There is also mention of an unusual four digit numbered Fleurette cup and saucer too. I so wish that we could work these out !!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 12 May - 14:47

Ev,
I've stretched Marl's fleurette saucer to make it circular again.
Here it is with the saucer from my 3023 (Purple Myrtle) can and the 744 all at the same scale. The proportions work. Accurate measurements and a pic of the underside of Marl's would help.
jumbo - Need help with this Jumbo sized cup please .... 3sauce12

Marl, Ev and I have been chatting about the saucers here:
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t5139-kelston-coffee-can-candy-stripe#19100
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Marl474 Mon 12 May - 15:13

Sorry, I no longer have that saucer and I did not measure it I am afraid. cheers, Marl
Marl474
Marl474

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Mon 12 May - 15:38

I think i have it!! ... Marl.. did you sell a few pieces that were chipped ( usable for mosaic ) on TM a while ago? Cup/saucers and an ashet if I remember correctly -  Razz Razz 
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 12 May - 15:59

Janice, if you find it ... try sitting the Candy Stripe can on it and let's us know how it fits!
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum