NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. EmptyToday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. EmptyToday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. EmptyToday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. EmptyYesterday at 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. EmptyYesterday at 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. EmptyYesterday at 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

2 pots with marks! Help please! One looks like Barry Brickell.

4 posters

Go down

marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. Empty 2 pots with marks! Help please! One looks like Barry Brickell.

Post  Glenys Fri 15 Feb - 20:27

These two pots have marks but I can't identify the potter.
marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. Img_0012marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. Img_0013
This one is very groggy clay.
marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. Img_0014marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. Img_0015
Both are really well made, worth identifying.

Glenys

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-08-29

Back to top Go down

marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. Empty Re: 2 pots with marks! Help please! One looks like Barry Brickell.

Post  teaandcoffee Sat 16 Feb - 12:34

The second one looks like a really nice Barry Brickell. Very desirable

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. Empty Re: 2 pots with marks! Help please! One looks like Barry Brickell.

Post  Glenys Sat 16 Feb - 21:34

My first thought! But I didn't dare hope.
Anyone else thinking Brickell?

Glenys

Back to top Go down

Post  TimCaulton Sat 16 Feb - 22:33

Yeah that second one looks like a Barry Brickell mark, the first....no idea. A quick email to DCR would confirm
TimCaulton
TimCaulton

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 17 Feb - 9:58

So did Barry have more than the two marks on the NZPotters site?
http://www.nzpotters.com/PottersMarks/PottersMark_Image.cfm?potterID=88

My Brickell piece has 6 spokes on his wheel mark .....?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  TimCaulton Sun 17 Feb - 10:31

not sure really, actually I've never counted the spokes.....maybe I should have. Now I wonder if I've been careless....perhaps. Hmmm. Best to ask Mr. Brickell I think to really be sure. Thats what I would do if it was my pot.
TimCaulton
TimCaulton

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenys Sun 17 Feb - 14:25

I had been to both the forum marks site and the NZ potters site before I posted this picture. Barry's mark is like a railway wheel. and it has 6 spokes or 5 plus a gap where one should be. The only reason I questioned this bowl is that it looks like Barry. I have some Brickell pots stored in Auckland but I can't access them at present.I wondered if it was a very old mark.

Glenys

Back to top Go down

marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. Empty It's a Brickell

Post  Glenys Sun 7 Apr - 21:14

I was in Auckland for 1 day last week and I hunted out my Brickell bowl to compare marks. The large groggy bowl on the left has excellent provenance. That's my op shop find on he right. The groggy clay was SO familiar.....
:party: And yes, it would be from the late 60's, early 70's.

marks - 2 pots with marks! Help please!  One looks like Barry Brickell. Bricke10

Last edited by Glenys on Sun 7 Apr - 21:14; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)

Glenys

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 8 Apr - 8:35

Very interesting Glenys .....
I might have to spend some time trying to find how many marks Barry used.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenys Tue 9 Apr - 19:46

I have some cups at home with the same mark from the same era, when Barry used to deliver his pots by boat from Coromandel. Ours came from a little shop in St Heliers. Barry used to anchor on the beach to deliver them.

Glenys

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum