NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery

+2
Maryr
mumof1
6 posters

Go down

irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery Empty Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery

Post  mumof1 Mon 9 Dec - 15:43

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
there have been others listed too, no picture on this one, but assuming it is the same [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Does anyone know who made these, are they referring to Hemara Hemara? If so, I wonder which pottery he worked for at the time? I bet Jeremy could work it out.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2359
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery Empty Re: Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery

Post  Maryr Sat 4 Jan - 19:43

I have four of these mugs. Two are marked Hemara ware and two unmarked. I have shown them to Hemara and to the Browns  Hemara modelled them. The browns laughed and said ah! he must have wanted his name on something for a change. But I didn't formally ask them  to confirm them as Orzel so I will need to check sometime. Will add Pics in next day or so.

Last edited by Maryr on Sat 4 Jan - 19:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add info)
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery Empty Re: Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 4 Jan - 23:09

I just had a look at the remaining tm photos.
So much was designed/modelled by Hemara it does make sorting out the "manufacturer" confusing, but even so I think he still managed to allow each maker their own identity.
Although unique items, the proportions of these is similar to my Adelaar oil jug and salt shakers, but I do not know the size. The glaze is also similar. The glaze is probably a better indicator of the pottery they were made at than the shape.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery Empty Pic of Hemara Irish coffee

Post  Maryr Sun 5 Jan - 16:49

Here is one of my Irish Coffee mugs. From my years of casual browsing of this type of ware, this is the only item I have ever seen with "Hemara Ware" on the base. Not all of these mugs have the Hemara mark. I have others which are unmarked. This mug is 13.5 cm tall and 6 cm across the top. I think Hemara did some work as an independent... I will investigate further. The glaze is very close to the Crown Lynn honey glaze...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery Empty Re: Pic of Hemara Irish Coffee Mug

Post  Kirsten Davies Wed 12 Aug - 13:58

Hello Maryr

Thank you so much for posting about your Hemara Irish Coffee mug. I own three of these mugs and for years have been trying to find out more about them. This is the first time that I have seen a picture of one online, so I'm very grateful for your post.

As the wife of a "Paddy", I'd love to build up my collection of these mugs. Do you see many of them around? And can you (or any other reader) recommend a way that I might come across any more for sale?

As you can probably tell, I'm quite a novice when it comes to pottery collection!

Many thanks, Kirsten

Kirsten Davies

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Wed 12 Aug - 21:03

We had one of these a couple of weeks back at work, I'll check when I'm in tomorrow whether it's still there, am happy to purchase and send to you at cost +plus postage if it's still there - it was very cheap.
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery Empty Hemara irish Coffee Mug

Post  Kirsten Davies Wed 12 Aug - 22:02

Hi Cat-a-lat

Wow, thanks a lot for getting in contact so quickly and for offering to check at your work for one of these mugs. I would be happy to pay for the item + postage. Cheers! Kirsten

Kirsten Davies

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 13 Aug - 8:10

Hi Kirsten, these turn up on Trade Me from time to time. If you do a search for Hemara and save it as a favourite, you will get notified of any listings that have been added.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Thu 13 Aug - 13:14

OK, it was still there and I bought it for $1. It has no markings on he base, but is otherwise identical to the mug in the above picture. Kristen if you could send me a private message with your address for posting, I will hopefully be able to get it sorted over weekend.
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kirsten Davies Wed 26 Aug - 14:28

Hi Ev

Sorry for my late reply - I somehow missed your post. Thanks a lot for your help and advice Smile

Cheers!
Kirsten

Kirsten Davies

Back to top Go down

irish - Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery Empty A Big Shout-Out To Cat-A-Lat!

Post  Kirsten Davies Wed 26 Aug - 14:35

Hi Cat-A-Lat, The Hemara mug has safely arrived and Paddy and I are delighted with it. Thanks again for being so lovely and helpful. Much appreciated Very Happy

Kirsten Davies

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Wed 26 Aug - 14:51

Hi Kirsten I have been on holiday and missed your post. You do see these mugs around in opshops - but it depends how much time you spend looking! Otherwise yes Trademe is a good option.
Enjoy your new treasure. It's so lovely to have a piece of NZ History.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Wed 26 Aug - 18:53

Great to hear it arrived safely! I was just wondering today whether it had arrived Smile
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum