NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Commercial pottery with 'P' marks - who is this? Peter Lowry most likely

3 posters

Go down

Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely Empty Commercial pottery with 'P' marks - who is this? Peter Lowry most likely

Post  Maryr Sat 10 May - 7:47

EDITS 26 June 2015. Earlier I attributed the shiny green and brown ware to Beach Artware (see below). New information leads me to believe it was made by Peter Lowry.

I have been picking up bits of nice shiny brown ware.. definitely made on a commercial scale, because there's lots around in a variety of shapes.  Some examples are marked with a hand-inscribed or hand-stamped 'P' but most are unmarked. The words applied to the canisters - tea, coffee etc are a distinguishing feature.  This ware is well made, with well fitting lids. It is possible some was hand-potted, though on some you can see a very faint mould mark.
Any ideas? I have wondered if the 'P' is Peter Beach from Beach Artware, (which became Kiln Craft etc), but the glazes don't quite match with anything that I am confident was made by him. Another possibility is Norm Parker of Parker Pottery. I hope someone can clear up this mystery for me.
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely X_p_po11

Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely X_p_po12
These jugs come in several sizes. This one is 15 cm tall.
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely X_p_po10

Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely X_p_po13

Jug with stopper, 13.5 high. Unmarked.
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely X_p_po14
You also see the same ware in green. Spoon jar, about 8 cm.
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely X_p_sp10
From left, mug definitely made by Peter Beach, 'P' jar, spice jar most likely from Beach/Kiln Craft/Clay Craft. The shiny golden top glazes are very similar, the base glaze of dark brown differs slightly.  (The 'P' glaze is matt, the others have a slightly crystalline effect).
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely X_p_po15

Last edited by Maryr on Fri 26 Jun - 15:26; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Add an idea)
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely Empty large tankard

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 10 May - 13:59

Val, I think the plain jug shape is very similar to later pieces by Clay Craft.

Here's another yellow and brown I have yet to seriously compare it with my other yellow and brown.

Large tankard.
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely Tankar12
Flat base, no marks. 165mm H x 74 OD top x 116 base.

(The cat was on my towel so today's background is Botticelli's Venus.)

--------------
Afterthought

Val, there is a young lady at Tikipunga market who has a box of token jars by this maker that passed through the auction house last year. They have a variety of glazes, and I will check them out tomorrow. Adriana gave me one with a lot of white on but I'm not sure where it is atm.

Also on forum somewhere is a piece with this sort of writing that had a name underneath: I suspect a Hobby Ceramics piece.

---------------

I have been a bit more cavalier in attributing this to Beach et al.
See more at :

http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t5012-yellow-and-brown-from-beach-et-al#18526

----------------

Val, as I was finishing up I noticed in the gallery slide show  that the knob on your blue Clay Craft tea pot is similar to all those above and that of the cane handled teapot in my topic, linked above.

Blue teapot:
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t5115-for-gallery-clay-craft-blue-teapot#18978

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Sat 10 May - 23:27; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Afterthoughts)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely Empty Re: Commercial pottery with 'P' marks - who is this? Peter Lowry most likely

Post  mike67 Sat 10 May - 23:14

This looks to be the same ware in blue. No marks. Looks like the Clay Craft group??
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely Dsc_0010
mike67
mike67

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2014-02-22

Back to top Go down

Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely Empty Re: Commercial pottery with 'P' marks - who is this? Peter Lowry most likely

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 10 May - 23:24

Mike, that one is definitely a Traditional, KilnCraft, Clay Craft shape.

Search "Traditional".

And it's a Clay Craft glaze.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Sun 11 May - 11:03; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely Empty TOKENS

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 11 May - 11:02

I checked Tikipunga market this morning and found the token jars only in three colourways, yellow/brown, green, and this one: brown on white.
Commercial pottery with 'P' marks -  who is this? Peter Lowry most likely Tokens11
63mm H x 63 OD top x 44 base. Satin glaze.
Definitely the same maker, so a new glaze to look out for.
Gift from Adriana.

The bottom is completely flat. Similar on my tankard above.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Mon 2 Oct - 21:11

In this thread the following are Lowrie
The whitish tokens jar 
The brown tea jar and the brown jug that follows it
The squat lidded jar in the centre of the pic of three items. 
The dragon bottle
The spoons pot

Not sure about the tankard.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum