NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
Second Hand Shops EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Second Hand Shops EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Second Hand Shops EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Second Hand Shops EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Second Hand Shops EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Second Hand Shops EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Second Hand Shops EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Second Hand Shops EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Second Hand Shops EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

Second Hand Shops

5 posters

Go down

Second Hand Shops Empty Second Hand Shops

Post  brianandjudy Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 22:00

Hi

A the end of January we are going on holiday in our campervan. We will be travelling from Wellington to Coromandel and will be exploring the area. Can someone tell me what good second hand shops there are around, especially shops that sell Crown Lynn.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions! Very Happy
brianandjudy
brianandjudy

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-04-27

Back to top Go down

Second Hand Shops Empty Re: Second Hand Shops

Post  Ev Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 5:50

There is a huge crockery place at Te Puke.  Janice knows the name of it and I hope she sees your thread as the Waikato/Bay of Plenty is her shopping area.

Check out this site as it covers all NZ Op Shops -
http://www.opshopdirectory.co.nz/
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17667
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 7:38

P/North /Bulls/ Huntersville/ Taihape/ apparently an op shop at Waiouru ( never did find that one!) - if you are coming up the guts of the country.
Tokoroa was a good adventure ! Can't recall which shop but there are a few, got some goodies !!
Rotorua near the dump shop behind PNS
Te Puke off the main street to the left, there are 3 - I have always found stuff in those shops.
The shop at Te Puke that Ev is referring to, on the way out of town, on the right, I think is called Anglea's collectibles, it has every type of pottery you can imagine. Tad expensive though - plates $22 Lunch he charges more like $28 but nothing is priced.
The mass of CL is at the end of the shop but half way in there is a "specialty crown Lynn part" - well to be honest check out every aisle and plan on at least an hour for a quick skim through, longer if required.( well... longer IS required LOL )
Unsure of any in the coast towns.. Its years since I have been down that way !
Happy op shopping !!
The link that Ev gave, I use that all the time - very helpful...
Thames - is a good place too - Peter Rayner has his shop but only open Friday/Saturday odd hours, his mum looks after it - Coromandel township - fairly good; but the CL people get in there early! so the lady in the shop told me.
I was there a few weeks ago..
How exciting, I love road trips Razz
Jnaice
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 9:25

The Op shop in Waiouru is called Threads. Open Monday to Friday 2pm-5pm Phone 063876823. They don't have much crockery more clothes and books. They are opposite the Four Square.

Taihape now has a Hospice shop too and the well established second hand shop Caught Short round the corner from it is very good and very cheap too, both are open all week.

Wanganui has a big selection of Op shops like 3 Hospices one of them a boutique shop in the town centre which sometimes has good quality C/L, a big Sallies and a small Antique shop but most of them are shut at the weekend.

Feilding has a Hospice, Sallies, SPCA and a Church s/h shop all are well worth a visit. There is also a barn s/h shop with a lot of crockery and a Crown Lynn section at the back but he has put his prices up heaps and you have to look out for hairline cracks and other faults.

Woodville is great all week too in the summer, during the winter some have funny opening hours.

Levin also has a lot of good second hand shops, a Hospice also with a cheap "garage sale" section at the back, Sallies and SPCA shop. I am pretty sure they closed on a Sunday.

Foxtons Trading Post is great and they have a small church shop which is only open in the morning a few days a week. There are two second hand shops on the main road next to each other both are great especially Junk and Disorderly which has a big selection of crockery and the owners are very friendly too. There is a Sallies which has become very expensive.

There is a fairly new Hospice in Otaki with some crockery, an SPCA shop with little crockery and a small second hand shop on the way to the Hospice shop.

I have noticed that a few of the smaller independent s/h shops have closed down.

One that used to be in Shannon has closed and now has a regular garage sale somewhere in Shannon but I don't know where.

There is a new small s/h shop in Hunterville next to the petrol station which has strange opening hours and a phone number at the door. The other s/h shop on the main road is closed on Wednesdays and I don't know if they are open at the weekend.

All the s/h shops in Bulls open after 10am and have become expensive. The antique shop has a great selection of expensive Crown Lynn vases in the window.

This and That in Marton is great but shut on Mondays. The Opportunity shop in Marton is open during the week and has a big selection of crockery.

The antique shop in Turakina on State Highway 1 also has a big selection of Crown Lynn crockery, lots of swans and white vases.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  brianandjudy Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 14:28

Thank you so much, Ev, Janice and Haselnuss. That info is very helpful. We have only started to collect Crown Lynn this year (even though my Uncle was the General Manger of CL for many years) and are very enthusiastic. It's very addictive.

If you ever come down to Wellington, I can tell you that there is a really good second hand shop called Vintage Treasure in Martinborough just off the square - it is actually a house full of CL, antiques, retro stuff and allsorts. http://www.vintagetreasurenz.com/
brianandjudy
brianandjudy

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 15:24

There is also at least one opshop in Thames just a few doors along from Pete's.

Paeroa has at times been regarded as an antique centre. Shops may come and go but on my last visit there were about five. Plenty of Crown Lynn between them and a range of prices to choose from.

I am not up to speed on Waihi but I think there are a couple of shops there. I don't know the opshop situation in either town.

Te Aroha has just one antique shop now I think and the CL can be a bit thin on the ground but if you're passing through why not. A community shop too. South of Te Aroha on a bend is a second hand shop with quite a bit of inexpensive NZ pottery.

Continuing South the remaining antique shop in Tirau is chocka but CL is not a major focus. Nearby Putaruru has at last count 3 opshops and a second hand shop.

Cambridge has both antique shops and opshops aplenty, and the opshop prices seem pretty good to me.

I usually just find one opshop and ask them what others there are. Usually works.

I haven't explored Hamilton for a decade. I find it a bit too big and too hard to get around.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum