NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
lynn - McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection .... EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
lynn - McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection .... EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
lynn - McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection .... EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
lynn - McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection .... EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
lynn - McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection .... EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
lynn - McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection .... EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
lynn - McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection .... EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
lynn - McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection .... EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
lynn - McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection .... EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection ....

4 posters

Go down

lynn - McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection .... Empty McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection ....

Post  Ev Wed 10 Dec - 9:42

The Portage Trust Collection has several pieces of McSkimmings ware - some bisque and plaster models which piqued my interest ...

http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/esearch/object?a=3384&q=mcskimmings

This piece in particular has details regarding Ceramco having owned McSkimmings in the 1980's

http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/account/3384/object/491645/Toilet_cistern_model

and this ...
http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/account/3384/object/490111/Plaster_model_-_toilet_pan
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

lynn - McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection .... Empty r MCSKIMMINGS / CROWN LYNN CONNECTION ....e

Post  Jonno Fri 12 Dec - 17:03

Very interesting , thanks for finding this link , sad that both companies were doomed once the eighties arrived and the so-called Merchant Bankers got control.
Jonno
Jonno

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Back to top Go down

lynn - McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection .... Empty McSkimming Benhar 83-84

Post  Shih Tzu Meg Sat 13 Jul - 13:15

I was a lab tech for McSkimmings Benhar 1983-1984.I did some of the glaze development matching for the Villroy and Boch colours.
There was a strike during my time there. I remember the Ceramco guy standing in the canteen telling us if the place burnt down they wouldn't rebuild. Strangely enough there was a major fire afew years later and they didn't rebuild.
I also have a sample of an old fashioned chamber pot they looked at producing. I don't think it or the other replica pieces ever went into production. I moved overseas in 1984.

Shih Tzu Meg

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-07-12

Back to top Go down

lynn - McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection .... Empty Re: McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection ....

Post  Ev Sat 13 Jul - 14:42

Thanks very much for adding this Shih Tzu Meg.
It is interesting to see McSkimmings in the Crown Lynn records and to see old toilets at the Crown Lynn Museum. There is a beautiful pamplet there showing all of the different coloured bathroom ware.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

lynn - McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection .... Empty Re: McSkimmings / Crown Lynn Connection ....

Post  Shih Tzu Meg Sat 13 Jul - 22:49

If it's showing avocado, sunburst etc I probably had a hand in those colours. It wasn't as simple as here's the recipe and off you go. The ceramics and glazes had to be tested for durability and fading etc. I loved working there. It was like magic every day.

Shih Tzu Meg

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Mon 15 Jul - 10:00

Meg, if you have the time could you please write up your recollections of working at McSkimmings. We do not have a lot of information about this busy factory. I have visited the old kiln and the bulidings that still remain and found it very moving.

If you just write up what you remember, then we will have it on record. Please don't sweat over it too much, just write down bits and pieces, then this invaluable information will be available for future researchers. Somewhere I have some pics of the remains of the factory but for the life of me I can't find them at present.
- what you did
- how many people worked there and what they did
- what you made
- a general description of the factory
etc etc etc.

I hope I am not imposing on you, but this history is so precious.
If you would like to chat pls phone 021 486 994
x

Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Shih Tzu Meg Tue 16 Jul - 10:55

Sure I would love to share what I can remember. As it could be rather long, is the someone or yourself I should send it to?

Shih Tzu Meg

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Wed 17 Jul - 17:07

Hi again Meg. This is wonderful news. If you write it in a Word document, you are welcome to email it to me and/or to Ev Williams. Just let us know when you are ready and we will give you our addresses. It would also be great if you do a copy-and-paste onto this website so it is easily accessible for everyone to read. Of course it is your document and you can decide what you want done with it.
Happy writing and do keep in touch!
Take care
Val Monk
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum