NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

Is this lampshade Royal Oak? No they weren't made by Royal Oak. And RO jar for gallery

5 posters

Go down

Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  Empty Is this lampshade Royal Oak? No they weren't made by Royal Oak. And RO jar for gallery

Post  Maryr Thu 9 Apr - 7:52

I used to see these around and assumed they were imported. But Kat gave me one the other day - she and Jeremy say they have a Royal Oak look to them... and I have to agree.  This one is 14 cm high.  There is also a larger version. For comparison (and for the gallery) I have included a sugar jar which is definitely RO. The shiny glaze is SO similar. The glaze on the lampshade has been applied with it upside down.
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  Ro_lam10
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  Ro_sug10
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  Empty Re: Is this lampshade Royal Oak? No they weren't made by Royal Oak. And RO jar for gallery

Post  Ev Thu 9 Apr - 8:12

Wow at last a name has been put forward for these!
I totally agree with you Val as that glaze is specific to Royal Oak.
I remember these from the 1970's and thought they were really cool.
Is there any way of confirming this?
Or shall we go with the 3 people to agree system?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  Empty Re: Is this lampshade Royal Oak? No they weren't made by Royal Oak. And RO jar for gallery

Post  Maryr Thu 9 Apr - 11:11

I will send a pic through to my Royal Oak people and see what they say. There are no lampshades in those RO catalogues they gave me.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  Empty Royal Oak Teapot

Post  Kat & Co. Thu 3 Dec - 11:47

This Teapot is in a similar glaze as those lampshades above too... Cool
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  Img_3828[/url
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  Img_3832
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 9 Jun - 17:17

Yay Google found your lampshade right away Val.
Is the clay that your one is made from a very dark brown?
Here is a close up of the clay colour and it hasn't been painted with paint, though the flash makes it look lighter than it really is.

Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  Dsc_0310

Last edited by Ev on Thu 9 Jun - 19:35; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  oakpot Thu 9 Jun - 18:49

Royal Oak did not make lamp shades .The teapot has a dark gloss
brown glaze.
I brought a spec home in 1976 with ceramic lamp shades. The
builder found them at a pottery factory in the North Shore Auckland.
They all cracked with the heat from the light bulbs.

oakpot

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2016-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 9 Jun - 19:50

Thank you for your reply oakpot as that consideration can now be put to rest.
We will have to find the pottery on the North Shore that was producing these now.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Fri 10 Jun - 7:03

Yes, thank you Oakpot for that information. Were the lampshades in your spec house the same as the ones pictured in this post?
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  oakpot Fri 10 Jun - 16:29

My lampshades with cutouts were similar in shape to the casserol below.

Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  20160611

oakpot

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2016-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sat 11 Jun - 8:09

Thanks for that Oakpot.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Mon 11 Mar - 12:12

Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  Receiv10
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  Receiv11
Is this lampshade Royal Oak?  No they weren't made by Royal Oak.  And RO jar for gallery  Receiv12

Did we get anywhere with Identifying the lampshades ? I have this to id but not sure it's quite the same
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 11 Mar - 13:30

We haven't got any further Cat.

Just waiting patiently for more info to turn up Very Happy
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: