NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another

2 posters

Go down

Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another Empty Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 17 May - 13:50

I bought these two Don Thornley pieces from Mark, lucianf on trademe.
I think I may have many purchases from him to come.
His house is certainly worth a visit if pickup is an option.
Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another Thornl10
Mug 120mm H
Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another Thornl11
Vase 125mm H

Nicole's friend Gloria had her coffee from the Simon Engelhardt mug last night.
It looks good up close. She thought the Thornley ugly.
Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another Thornl12
I think the Thornley photographs better.
And it will take a whole 6 cup coffee pot.

I don't see much info on Don Thornley.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Mon 8 Feb - 16:39; edited 3 times in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another Empty Re: Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another

Post  Ev Sun 17 May - 15:29

I saw Mark last week when he visited the Portage Museum. I haven't been to his new house, but when I went to his old house a visit turned into hours. He said that I must go by and visit again. He has given a lot of photos and info to the site.

Don Thornley is a popular potter from yonks ago and is highly respected, his work turns up on Trade Me on a regular basis. High fired stoneware, with a liking for Shino.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another Empty Re: Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 17 May - 15:57

Thanks Ev.
I haven't met Mark, yet. His wife (?) was there when I picked up my Brickell mug a while back. Nicole was in Auckland last week but I got him to post these as she was busy at a conference. House on Mt Atkinson. Beautiful pottery everywhere.

I thought I should add that I don't agree with Gloria about the Thornley.
I love it. It always seems to photograph crooked but I don't see that up close.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another Empty another?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 2 Sep - 16:34

I bought this as a Don Thornley piece but someone told me there was a similar mark to his so I thought I should ask. I have looked at what work of his appears on a web search and seen nothing else so far in this Tenmoku or Tenmoku-type glaze.
marked as shown, 10.5cm H

I've used comparative photos to show how it stacks up against my other Thornley mug.
The handle shape differs but forming and fixing match.
Base finishing matches and the clay body appears the same or very similar (new mug needs a clean yet).
Interior treatment matches.
Marks vary. In the old mug, right, there is a gap between the belly of the D and the bar of the T.
Also, in the old mug the T has a tail beneath the straight line of the D and in the new it doesn't.
_
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 2 Sep - 17:55

I can't see those marks that you posted today, perhaps because I'm not feeling too crash hot? Here is his mark that he would have submitted to the nzpotters marks
http://www.nzpotters.com/PottersMarks/PottersMark_Image.cfm?potterID=473

I have only recently been alerted to the fact that there are two marks that look like Don Thornley's so I'm not much help really.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 2 Sep - 18:28

Don Thornley mug and vase. And another mug, and another Thornl11
left is new mug, right is one from Marcus

One other thing I didn't mention above is that the glaze on both mugs is pocked by eruptions from matter in the coarse clay body.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 8 Feb - 16:51

Another Don Thornley mug.

I surprised Marcus with this one. I spotted it on tm for three dollars and immediately recognised it as a Thornley, because I had seen a set of four of the exact same mug for sale with a coffee pot in the September Art & Object catalog. I didn't see the mark until I collected it from the seller: I smiled as of course I was right.

This is my third Don Thornley. The first was from Marcus. Second from tm. I would have had another too but someone else wanted it more than me.

While the finger marks might give the impression that it is quite coarse this mug is very light and finely potted with the body little more than one millimeter thick. Marcus says thrown quickly with soft clay.
stoneware, usual Thornley mark at base of handle
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum