NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Jan Gillespie
Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin EmptyYesterday at 20:02 by Kat & Co.

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin EmptyYesterday at 3:34 by Maryr

» Hamilton Boys High and Old Folks Assoc. Hamilton Badgeware
Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin EmptyYesterday at 2:54 by JanPots

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin EmptyMon 29 Apr - 4:33 by signal red

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin EmptyMon 29 Apr - 4:22 by Ev

» Cornwall Collection d836 Contemporary Ceramics
Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin EmptySun 28 Apr - 1:12 by Ev

» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin EmptyFri 26 Apr - 19:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin EmptyThu 25 Apr - 8:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin EmptyWed 24 Apr - 18:50 by Ev

Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin

Go down

Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin Empty Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 15 Jun - 2:54

[Originally titled: "First & Last" Coffee Set 1029, 1140-42, 6039 in Basalt]

[I wrote this topic to introduce what I call the First and Last coffee set.
I have since added the Dave Jenkin set and Mark Cleverley sets.]

"First & Last" Coffee Set in Basalt (designer not known) from Luke Adams
("Bulb Spout" pot and jug, "Po" sugar bowl, and "Handle" mug)

It is curious that the FIRST mug to be produced for Crown Lynn at Luke Adams forms a set with the LAST coffee service (pot, sugar and jug). No date has yet been found in the records for the prosaically named "Handle Coffee Mug" (1029) but the first Luke Adams piece for which a date has been found places it at 1968 or earlier. The pieces for the coffee service are all dated the same day, four years later give or take (23.3.72). Nevertheless the shapes are a clear match. Prosaic too is the name for pot and jug, "Bulb Spout", and the sugar bowl (for which bulb spout name would no sense) "Po", which could be a reference to its shape ... like a potty!
Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin Firstl10
1029 Handle Coffee Mug - [no date given, 1968 at latest]
1140 Bulb Spout Coffee Pot - Lid 1141- 23.3.72
1142 Po Sugar Basin - 23.3.72
6039 Bulb Spout Jug - 23.3.72

Mark Cleverley Coffee Set in Lucow glaze from Luke Adams
(also made in Basalt)
Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin Clever10
1057 Flared Cylinder Coffee Mug 10.4.69
1058 Flared Cylinder Coffee Pot - Lid 1059 10.4.69
1060 Flared Cylinder Sugar 10.4.69
1061 Flared Cylinder Jug 10.4.69
Cleverley signature on base of coffee pot (just on mine)

Dave Jenkin Coffee Set in Basalt glaze from Luke Adams

I read or heard somewhere that this was designed by Mark Cleverley but Mark told me it was "the other guy", ie Dave Jenkin.
Three Crown Lynn Coffee Sets made at the Luke Adams factory: Cleverley Jenkin Jenkin10
1086 Coffee Mug to 1084 - 6.5.70
1084 Chunky Coffee Pot - Lid 1085 - 22.4.70
1088 Sugar Basin to 1084 - Lid 1089 - 15.5.70
1087 Jug to 1084 - 22.4.70
1091 Chunky Cup - Saucer 1092 - 5.8.70

Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum