NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp EmptyYesterday at 22:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp EmptyYesterday at 22:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp EmptyYesterday at 19:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp EmptyWed 17 Apr - 23:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp EmptyWed 17 Apr - 9:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp EmptyWed 17 Apr - 8:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp EmptyWed 17 Apr - 4:10 by clyde

Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp

2 posters

Go down

CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp Empty Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp

Post  haselnuss Wed 14 Oct - 1:10

The elephant is the Aquila elephant shape and well made not Hobby.
It has a Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp under its belly and dollcrown posted a dolphin with a Gemma China sticker some time ago.

I have a look online and there was a registered Gemma China company from 1986 which got stuck off in 1991.
The directors were:
Keith Raymond WHITE
162 South Road, New Plymouth, 4310, New Zealand
16 Oct 1991 and Margaret Ann WHITE
162 South Road, New Plymouth, 4310, New Zealand
16 Oct 1991

I think that they probably purchased NZ made China to sell on. Which would mean that the elephant is made by Aquila/Orzel.

What do the experts think?
CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp Gemma_10
CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp Gemma_11

dollcrowns link: https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t1751-gemma-china-new-zealand-dolphin-from-dollcrown?highlight=gemma+china
CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp Dollcr11
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp Empty Re: Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp

Post  Ev Wed 14 Oct - 2:57

There are some real mysteries around for sure. Manos can look at an elephant that has been titled Titian or Aquila or Orzel and know that it isn't for reasons that I don't understand, so I'm no help at all really.
I suggest that you should put it on the Facebook Titian/Aquila/Orzel page and ask about it, as I know Manos will see it on there and would most likely comment.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

CHINa - Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp Empty Re: Aquila elephant shape with Gemma China Ltd NZ back stamp

Post  haselnuss Mon 11 Jan - 22:24

Manos said it was not made by Aquila! And Dollcrown found out that Gemma China bought greenware that they decorated themselves.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 14 May - 18:40

Cam and Bev Brown were at the Crown Lynn Market on Saturday and acdc71 had four elephants for sale from Manos's auction and Cam knew that only two of them were made by Aquila as they always painted the bottoms of the feet black.
One of the other two was really light and the other was really heavy.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum