NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
For gallery Wyuna Coromandel EmptyToday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
For gallery Wyuna Coromandel EmptyToday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
For gallery Wyuna Coromandel EmptyToday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
For gallery Wyuna Coromandel EmptyYesterday at 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
For gallery Wyuna Coromandel EmptyYesterday at 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
For gallery Wyuna Coromandel EmptyYesterday at 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
For gallery Wyuna Coromandel EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
For gallery Wyuna Coromandel EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
For gallery Wyuna Coromandel EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

For gallery Wyuna Coromandel

2 posters

Go down

For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Empty For gallery Wyuna Coromandel

Post  Maryr Mon 7 Mar - 8:38

Is this a new one? It didn't turn up when I searched.
For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_10For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_11
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Empty Re: For gallery Wyuna Coromandel

Post  Ev Mon 7 Mar - 10:01

Haven't seen this one before thanks Val.
I think it should go into the Commercial Pottery section as it has been slipcast and I don't know what other pottery they made.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 6 Sep - 19:14

Thanks to the Ferret for alerting me about this ware and this is what he says:

"I have just been looking at the pottery site and see a Wyuna Studio pot. Wyuna Studio is not a working studio. It is a craft shop in the Coromandel main street. They go to Bali once a year and bring back container loads of stuff!!!. They also have had small plates made with decals of local scenes and other stuff!!!. I don't think Wyuna belongs on the marks site?"

This is interesting, but I still think that their label should be in the Gallery.
Who fired it onto the pot?
There is a terracotta Icing Sugar shaker with green glaze top from mumof1 too that looks very much like the Orzel green.  I must remember to ask the Brown family about this on the next visit.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Wed 7 Sep - 7:46

Interesting thanks Ferret. We are hopefully heading for the Coromandel in the school holidays so I will check them out. From the info so far, I agree they should have a place in the marks gallery, but maybe a proviso saying "made in Indonesia, sold in NZ". ?? I will report on what I find out.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Mon 26 Sep - 13:24

I visited Wyuna this morning. My pot was indeed made in NZ by Wyuna. The icing sugar shaker is from the same line. Around the 1980s they made a lot of slipcast terracotta kitchenware including some with that green glaze. They discontinued this ware after about 10 years when Western Potters could no longer supply terracotta slip.  I have much more to add including px of their range but that will need to wait till we get home. Today they are indeed a gift shop with mainly imported items for sale but this gallery has a proud history of handmade pottery!
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 28 Sep - 6:17

Great info Val and thanks for taking the time to stop in and talk to them.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Empty More on Wyuna with pics

Post  Maryr Wed 12 Oct - 14:20

Since we got home I have been in touch with Christine Doe, the co-owner of Wyuna Studio at Coromandel, and this is what she emailed me about the history of the pottery. I have also posted pics of some of their wares. The pics are my phone pics of their old pics, so quality is not brilliant but still it is a record. It was lovely to meet Christine and to find out the history of this interesting business.

"Christine's Mother in Law Valery Doe had been a potter for years in Wanganui and Hawera, before shifting to Coromandel with her husband in 1982. Christine and her husband shifted in 1984 and she started working with them in their pottery studio producing stoneware pottery. Valery threw all the pottery and Christine made all the slab plates etc, that were wholesaled around New Zealand.

They built Wyuna Studio in 1987 as a Craft shop and workshop at the back where the stoneware pottery continued and Christine started producing slipcast terracotta kitchenware . The moulds were made by Bruce Yallop and their clay and slip was bought from Western Potters and Waikato Ceramics.

The Terracotta ware was also sold throughout New Zealand and also marketed in Australia by a 'party plan' company (similar to the Tupperware system)

The Wyuna Studio is no longer producing pottery but is still a craft, souvenir, gift shop, run by Christine and Valery."

Below you see examples of their kitchenware and animal figurines and little houses. The Australian Catalogue shows their range - and last of all, the shop as it is today.
For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_14
For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_13For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_10For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_15For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_12For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_16
For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_21
For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_17For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_18For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_19For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_20For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_22

For gallery Wyuna Coromandel Wyuna_23
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 12 Oct - 14:26

Wonderful information and photos Val, thank you so much for taking the time to do this.
It's great to see that Bruce Yallop was modelling for them too Very Happy
I'm very impressed with most all of it and will keep an eye out for some of their work.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Wed 12 Oct - 14:29

I am looking too. I think i recall Christine saying something about the moulds for figurines being imported.... apart from that i belielve they are all Bruce. I have asked Christine if there are any potters marks that should be on the site as well.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum