NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn EmptyToday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn EmptyToday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn EmptyToday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn EmptyToday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn EmptyToday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn EmptyToday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn EmptyToday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn EmptyToday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn EmptyToday at 8:48 by Ev

Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn

2 posters

Go down

Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn Empty Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn

Post  Ev Fri 18 Dec - 17:07

John went to Mirek's 60 years - 60 pots Exhibition last Saturday at Rotorua and asked him about his time at Crown Lynn.
He said that when he joined them in 1951 he was an apprentice to Ernie Shufflebotham.
He had to weigh out the amount of clay for the pots that Ernie was making.
Ernie made all of the Bohemia ware pots and Mirek decorated them as he was a decorater as well then.
When Tom Clarke saw them decorated he liked the look of them and as Mirek was from Czechoslovakia he told Mirek to call them Bohemia Ware and to put that on the base.
This upset Ernie as he wanted to call then something else.
Plus when Ernie went for his lunch break each day Mirek would use his wheel (this upset Ernie as well but Mirek said that he did not care) to make things for himself and he was making child bowls and decorating them for his children.
Tom saw them and was impressed and so that was how the children's bowls started.
Mirek also said that when Ernie made the larger pots, when they came out of the kiln they were rough, so he had a lathe that was adapted and put the pots on that and smoothed them off. [I guess this was after they were bisque fired?]
Mirek said that this was really alien to him as a potter.
He said that he also taught a lot of women how to decorate a lot of the pottery while he was there.
He could have stayed on, as when he gave his notice Tom asked him to stay and told him that he could do what he wanted to if he did, but he wanted to do his own thing.
Many thanks John for sharing such interesting insights.

Last edited by Ev on Wed 29 Jul - 7:47; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn Empty Re: Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn

Post  TimCaulton Tue 29 Dec - 16:24

I wonder what his children's bowls looked like. I have one Mirek made. It's a baby bowl, decorated with a truck and made for his children....he told me there were others....one with a monkey, a clown.....

So it's possible my one was made up here in Auckland?
TimCaulton
TimCaulton

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn Empty Re: Mirek Smisek chatted to John about his time at Crown Lynn

Post  Ev Tue 29 Dec - 17:12

I remember that bowl Tim.....
you are usually very lucky when it comes to pots....
my guess is that it very well could be as it looked old.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum