NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED EmptyToday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED EmptyToday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED EmptyToday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED EmptyYesterday at 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED EmptyYesterday at 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED EmptyYesterday at 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED

2 posters

Go down

philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED Empty Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 8 Nov - 17:10

Crown Lynn Philippines tankard.
philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED 132610
105mm high

I thought I'd found a 1326 Rugby mug but then saw the fine print:
"Made in Philippines". (It IS also marked Crown Lynn!)

philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED 1326_r10
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/gallery/Crown-Lynn-Shapes-Catalogue-with-Four-Digits/Castware-Earthenware-1000-1599/1326-rugby-beer-mug-7580-pic_8935.htm

The shape is very similar to the drawing in the gallery although the handle looks a little different. The 1980 date (7.5.80) for the 1326 fits the period that Crown Lynn was operating in Philippines so I suspect that they may be one and the same.

That could explain why we have not seen one before.

There were six of these at Hospice but at a whopping $8 each I settled for one. I expect Jim will get his own.
A wee bit later ...
I have just noticed that all the other Philippines wares have only "Philippines" or an inked backstamp. These mugs have embossed "Made in Philippines" AND "Crown Lynn" which is something new. As can be seen above it is pretty hard to get a clear image with the black glaze but I will attempt to take a pic for the gallery on Wednesday when we have more light and I have cleared more disc space.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Wed 9 Nov - 22:58; edited 2 times in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED Empty Re: Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED

Post  Ev Tue 8 Nov - 18:49

Oh wow Jeremy I think you have nailed this one.
Thanks you so much for your astute thinking and final thoughts.
I will add this to the Four Digit Gallery as the 1326 shape.
cheers
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED Empty Re: Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 9 Nov - 16:27

Unfortunately this is the best I could do with just two hands.
Black on black is quite tricky to photograph.
philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED Philip10

This photo has both "Crown Lynn" and "Made in Philippines" in the one shot.
We don't have another like this.

I checked the remaining four at Hospice and they were no easier to read. If Jim has the fifth one I may get a chance to examine it tomorrow.

-----------
Tomorrow

Here's the base of Jim's mug which is not only clearer but has a number on it, 1009, possibly 1309. It was the only one with a number. Jim has the luxury of free parking but I had to rush back to the car to beat the meter maid and obviously missed looking at the base of this one. And narrowly avoided a $40 fine! It is not a NZ Crown Lynn number but, like one of Anne's pieces, a Philippines one so it likely doesn't affect whether or not it is also NZ CL 1329. Anne's mug is two digits away at 1011.
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t5267-crown-lynn-made-in-philippines-4-digit-mug-1011#19703
philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED 100910

1009 is my best guess. NZ CL 1309 is "Cylinder and Cone coffee mug". I think it will be a different shape as the description sounds wrong.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Thu 10 Nov - 14:45; edited 2 times in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 9 Nov - 17:52

I can easily see them both on my phone with a bit of enlargement. I will try to capture both when I add it to the Gallery. Thanks a lot.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 25 Jan - 7:30

Simon Barthope added these photos to Skite site on Tuesday (23/1/18).
It apears to be the same mug shape with different marks on the base, and a monogram that includes NZ.

philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED Image33

Is that 'NZI"?

philippines - Crown Lynn Philippines tankard looks like 1326 rugby beer mug PHOTO OF BASE ADDED Image32

I sharpened the base picture to make it easier to read.

I love the crown.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum