NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks EmptyYesterday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks EmptyYesterday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks EmptyYesterday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks

2 posters

Go down

Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks Empty Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 5 Dec - 12:50

Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs.

I bid early and bid big for these as you don't see old mugs from the "other" commercial potteries that often. I've missed out in the past for various reasons including having already spent a lot at the time (doh), deeper pocketed bidders (what can you do), and even had one auction pulled as the seller became aware of the potential value (and I have no idea what happened to that one).

So, it was a surprise to see this pair up for sale from different sellers in the same week, a surprise that I won both, and more of a surprise that the Stour Ware ended up being the cheaper of the two. (It didn't hurt that I hadn't bought anything for a while too.)
Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks Stour10
half pint jiggered [?] mug, 1935-39, marked Stour Ware Timaru, 85mm H

The Stour Ware mug was made by The South Canterbury Pottery and Mining Co. between 1935 and 1939 (in which year the company became Timaru Potteries).

(I had hoped to photograph a pair of Stour Ware crocks belonging to my friends Joss and Melissa, one of which has only recently lost its lid, on Saturday but got distracted! Another time.)
Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks Timaru10
promotional castware barrel mug, 1956, marked Timaru Potteries, 100mm H

The Timaru Potteries mug is, generally speaking the less well made of the two considering the greater maturity of the pottery manufacturer, with glaze misses, and soft stamps but on the plus side the quality of the fettling is good. It appears to be clear glaze over speckled body, which sounds like stoneware rather than earthenware. I assume that this is the same Mt Somers clay as was used for Stour Ware.

Although I expect the Timaru Potteries mug is intrinsically less valuable (as it is the later) it is my favourite of the two. I have not yet got my head around appreciating the aesthetics of Stour Ware.

Reference
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nzlscant/timaru_potteries.htm
Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks Timaru11

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Mon 5 Dec - 15:56; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks Empty Re: Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks

Post  Ev Mon 5 Dec - 14:22

How odd that we don't have any stamps/marks in this Gallery previous to these two.

It's as odd as having a long term Prime Minister resign ..... !
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks Empty Re: Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 5 Dec - 14:44

Ev, I did post another one with my bed warmer but the image is probably too small.

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t4800-timaru-potteries-bed-warmers-2-types#17405

Here's another if you can't find better.
Stour Ware and Timaru Potteries mugs and marks Timaru12

I think the addition of commercial pottery stamps to the galleries was a belated decision.  Some are in the potters marks gallery and some are in individual pottery galleries.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum