NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !! EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !! EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !! EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !! EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !! EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !! EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !! EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !! EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !! EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !!

4 posters

Go down

Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !! Empty Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !!

Post  Ev Tue 25 May - 14:47

Today I saw two mugs that were obviously made at a Hobby Ceramics class.
This is where you purchase a bisqued fired piece and glaze it and then it is fired and you call it your own work.
The mugs were extremely light-weight and had hand painted names on them... Dennis and ?
When I turned them over, I was astounded to see the Made In New Zealand going around the base.
They also had Edith 83 scratched into the base .... a real give away lolz
I didn't recognize the mug shape either!
I wonder how this mould was used by a Hobby Ceramics class?
Did they purchase blanks from Crown Lynn??
Perhaps I should have paid the $1 so that you could see what I'm talking about?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17667
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !! Empty Re: Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !!

Post  HeatherT Tue 25 May - 17:57

Studio Ceramics seem to be throwing a little confusion on trademe.. the black swan for example.
HeatherT
HeatherT

Number of posts : 874
Interests: : Crown Lynn animals, swans and vases

Back to top Go down

Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !! Empty Re: Hobby Ceramics mugs with Made In New Zealand on them !!

Post  Ev Wed 26 May - 8:04

I checked out Gail Henry's New Zealand Pottery book and found info on page 162 about Hobby Ceramics.
Chris Brown [Cameron Brown's son] started up Hobby Ceramic classes in 1978-79 using special clay and moulds imported from the USA and Mayco colours. The body is very light and soft being fired at a lower temperature. It seems that some of the Titian moulds were used for making Hobby Ceramics and some of the Hobby Ceramics moulds were used by Orzel !
Perhaps an old Crown Lynn mug mould found it's way into the Hobby Ceramic classes as well?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 9 Feb - 12:59

Ev, I'm still keen to learn more about Hobby Ceramics.

I note you refer to "Dennis" as one of the Hobby Ceramics students and the use of "Made in New Zealand" marked shapes, presumably Crown Lynn (but perhaps Clay Craft as I have noted elsewhere).

So putting two and two together, I have to ask you about the 1300 mug in the gallery with "Dennis" emblazoned across it. I know the 1300s had lots of different patterns on them, including the Ceramco launching one, but could the mug in the gallery actually be a Hobby Ceramics????
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Sun 9 Feb - 19:14

The 1300 shaped tankard have a 4 digit number on the base, which marry up with the shape guide. 1300- embossed beer tankard
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 9 Feb - 20:51

Yes, Janice, I have a 1300 in my own castware collection (the Ceramco one). I was just wondering whether the "Dennis" tankard in the gallery was real Crown Lynn or a Hobby Ceramics copy because the " Dennis" pattern is so odd and corresponds with the name of someone who is known to have been a Hobby Ceramics student.

I recently bought a kitchen set marked "Clay Craft" knowing that there was a likelihood it was Hobby. Likewise I bought a pair of half size Flamingos knowing they were not Aquila, and probably Hobby too. Both items are on the Following topic.
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t4636-kitchenware-marked-clay-craft-hobby-ceramics

Like Val, I am intrigued by this Hobby Ceramics stuff and I agree with her that it is worth looking out for and looking at. There is tons of it in the op-shops but not that much that I would actually choose to buy. Also of interest was a recent trademe action for a "Titian" mug that I believe was also hobby and had it been in good condition I would have bid on it. I wrote about it here:
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t237-titian-mug-from-hon-john#16480
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 10 Feb - 10:11

The 1300 Dennis mug is the real deal, but with a handwritten name on it. It is the correct weight for the size and is not Hobby Ceramics.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum