NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is this black dish Crown Lynn 356 “Wet and Dry”
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson EmptyToday at 15:01 by kitsch

» Is this Titian Studio? No it's Diana Pottery Australia!
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson EmptyToday at 11:51 by kitsch

» Help to identify mark on this NZ vase please
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson EmptyToday at 10:34 by kitsch

» Is this “Shell” shaped vase NZ pottery
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson EmptyToday at 10:14 by kitsch

» Is this large brown painted bowl Crown Lynn please?
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson EmptyToday at 10:10 by kitsch

» Is this Crown Lynn Shape No. 42?
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson EmptyToday at 8:21 by kitsch

» Is this Crown Lynn shape no.10!
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson EmptyToday at 8:19 by kitsch

» Temuka Maori motif wall vase
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson EmptyYesterday at 16:15 by Ev

» Temuka ware factory seconds
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson EmptyYesterday at 7:53 by Melita

White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson

5 posters

Go down

White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Empty White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson

Post  mumof1 Mon 29 Aug - 8:25

White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Dsc05510
I have looked in the NZ potters book, but can't find this mark. Can anyone help please?
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Empty Re: White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson

Post  Ev Thu 19 Dec - 17:19

I found a bowl with this mark on today and it is made from earthenware clay.
The distinctive delightful decoration looks familiar and should help with id.
The lovely Sallies lady suggested that it was made in Spain with it having a bull on it  Laughing 
Haven't got time for pics as I have an end of year pottery function to attend, but will add some at a later date.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17629
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Empty Re: White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson

Post  mumof1 Fri 20 Dec - 8:21

I have a couple of pieces of this pottery, which we use daily. The pattern is always the same, but it comes in several different colours, pale blues, browns or greens, but always a red clay base. I have never seen an earthenware one, good find! As I come across these pieces on a fairly regular basis, I doubt it is Spanish, but more likely from the South Island somewhere. I would really love to know the potter, it will come one day I'm sure.
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Dsc09217
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Dsc09218
The horse appears to be hand incised, and is always a little different.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 20 Dec - 9:52

Haha I know it's not Spanish. The decoration on my piece is different and distinctive and I've seen it before. Red terracotta clay is called earthenware in my lingo.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 22 Dec - 12:41

The pattern:
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Horse_10

The Australian Potters marks site has this mystery mark too and someone said it could depict a unicorn ..... ?
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Horse_11

I have a strong feeling that I have too many pots around me, as I put this bowl down not that long ago and now I can't find it amid a sea of cups and plates and bowls and I wanted to see if it has the PJG stamp on it blahumbug

Edits to say I found it and it does have the tiny PJG stamp. Darn bowl had the K Gold mug sitting inside it so was out of the radar ^.~
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Empty Progress

Post  mumof1 Sun 18 May - 16:30

I have made a little progress with this mark. I have just been talking to a lady who used to pot here in Nelson, and was secretary of the Craft Potters, and she told me that the potter's name is Patrick something, and he called the pottery 'White Horse Pottery', somewhere in Nelson. Be careful, she said, this is earthenware, and chips easily.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 24 Feb - 9:27

The questions and answers in this auction say that the horse mark is White Horse Pottery from Nelson and possibly Patrick Gaze. I can't find any info for this name.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1038691436
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 24 Feb - 9:57

I tried last week and couldn't either.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 24 Feb - 10:28

I will take this mark out of the Mystery Marks and add it to the main Gallery as White Horse Pottery for now.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 21 Jul - 6:59

Finally after nearly 5 years, we have a name for this mark thanks to the Ferret.
Patrick Gaze (not Gare) White Horse Pottery PJG Nelson

White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson White_10

White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Gare_p10

Last edited by Ev on Thu 29 Mar - 7:20; edited 3 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Thu 21 Jul - 8:19

Whew !! Thank you Ferret, and well done for solving this mystery.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  R L Pike Thu 21 Jul - 9:13

Hi ..... sorry, it's me again. Not sure if it's a typo or an error -- potter's name should be GAZE not GARE. Cheers.

R L Pike

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2014-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post  R L Pike Thu 21 Jul - 9:17

Hi............ again. Have just read ALL the entries about Patrick Gaze's work and his White Horse emblem on the bottom. There was an element of presumption on my part, but I thought that the white horse had a connection to the ancient, huge white horse which is carved into an English hillside somewhere? Hundreds of years old, apparently. cheers

R L Pike

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2014-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 21 Jul - 9:26

Thanks, I am out atm, but will look into this later.  I saw the name Gaze on Trade Me one time, but couldn't find confirmation anywhere.

Thanks again, I have corrected all of the spelling thank you so much for your input Smile
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannele Wed 28 Mar - 19:53

Here is a cup with Patrick's mark:
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Dsc02210
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Dsc02211
Hannele
Hannele

Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2018-02-03

Back to top Go down

White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Empty Patrick Gaze, potter.

Post  goodjelly Tue 8 May - 23:17

mumof1 wrote:I have a couple of pieces of this pottery, which we use daily. The pattern is always the same, but it comes in several different colours, pale blues, browns or greens, but always a red clay base. I have never seen an earthenware one, good find! As I come across these pieces on a fairly regular basis, I doubt it is Spanish, but more likely from the South Island somewhere. I would really love to know the potter, it will come one day I'm sure.
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Dsc09217
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Dsc09218
The horse appears to be hand incised, and is always a little different.

I shared a flat in Auckland with a Patrick Gaze, about 25 years ago. He had come out from the UK as a professional potter; and so the Nelson pottery must have been his - surely there wouldn't be two Patrick Gazes potting in the South Island, would there? He retired from his (groundsman at Ellerslie racecourse) job, and went back to the South Island, somewhere in Canterbury. Then he changed his email address, and I lost contact with him. But it would explain the White Horse, wouldn't it. (Chalk white horses in Wiltshire). He may have been from Wiltshire.
I hope this is helpful to you! - Jenny Leu Williams. (goodjelly)

goodjelly

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannele Fri 18 May - 18:05

Are these wine sips? Don't laugh, I only know the term "wine sip" from here and I have no idea what they are supposed to look like.
They are about 8 cm high and wide and exquisite:
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Dsc03318
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Dsc03319
Hannele
Hannele

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 18 May - 19:02

Hahaaa not laughing Razz  
Yes that it what we called these in the 1970's and 1980's when we made them heheee
Oh and they usually were made with a matching bottle ~_~
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannele Fri 18 May - 19:09

Ah well, I have only been in New Zealand for a couple of years, English is my second language and I only recently got interested in pottery. I have been drinking wine for quite a few decades, but always out of glass. And did I mention English is not my first language? Wink
Are wine sips typically from these parts?
Hannele
Hannele

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 18 May - 19:11

Hahaa you are so cute Hannele Very Happy
Your English is perfect as far as I can see Smile
I have no idea how we got to call those little wine cups ... wine sips, but it is what I have always know them as Laughing
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannele Thu 4 Oct - 17:41

A salt pig by Patrick, great colours, wonderful decoration. The glaze is very crazed, but there are no cracks:
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Dsc05026
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Dsc05028
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Dsc05027
Hannele
Hannele

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannele Fri 12 Jun - 17:16

And a very nice (cake) plate. There is a small chip from the bottom:White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Img_1419
White Horse Pottery PJG is Patrick Gaze from Nelson Img_1420
Hannele
Hannele

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum