NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyToday at 12:05 by Maryr

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyToday at 12:03 by Maryr

» Orange Air NZ pattern no namer
Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyToday at 11:06 by Ev

» Denise Wellsford
Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyToday at 10:42 by Ev

» Waimea Pottery
Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyToday at 10:36 by Ev

» Janet Rogers
Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyToday at 10:29 by Ev

» Judith Rosamund
Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyToday at 10:24 by Ev

» Adrian Cotter
Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyToday at 10:21 by Ev

» Carrick Oliver coffee pot
Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery EmptyToday at 8:22 by JanPots

Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery

+2
Maryr
mumof1
6 posters

Go down

Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery Empty Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery

Post  mumof1 Mon 9 Dec - 15:43

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
there have been others listed too, no picture on this one, but assuming it is the same [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Does anyone know who made these, are they referring to Hemara Hemara? If so, I wonder which pottery he worked for at the time? I bet Jeremy could work it out.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery Empty Re: Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery

Post  Maryr Sat 4 Jan - 19:43

I have four of these mugs. Two are marked Hemara ware and two unmarked. I have shown them to Hemara and to the Browns  Hemara modelled them. The browns laughed and said ah! he must have wanted his name on something for a change. But I didn't formally ask them  to confirm them as Orzel so I will need to check sometime. Will add Pics in next day or so.

Last edited by Maryr on Sat 4 Jan - 19:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add info)
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery Empty Re: Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 4 Jan - 23:09

I just had a look at the remaining tm photos.
So much was designed/modelled by Hemara it does make sorting out the "manufacturer" confusing, but even so I think he still managed to allow each maker their own identity.
Although unique items, the proportions of these is similar to my Adelaar oil jug and salt shakers, but I do not know the size. The glaze is also similar. The glaze is probably a better indicator of the pottery they were made at than the shape.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery Empty Pic of Hemara Irish coffee

Post  Maryr Sun 5 Jan - 16:49

Here is one of my Irish Coffee mugs. From my years of casual browsing of this type of ware, this is the only item I have ever seen with "Hemara Ware" on the base. Not all of these mugs have the Hemara mark. I have others which are unmarked. This mug is 13.5 cm tall and 6 cm across the top. I think Hemara did some work as an independent... I will investigate further. The glaze is very close to the Crown Lynn honey glaze...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery Empty Re: Pic of Hemara Irish Coffee Mug

Post  Kirsten Davies Wed 12 Aug - 13:58

Hello Maryr

Thank you so much for posting about your Hemara Irish Coffee mug. I own three of these mugs and for years have been trying to find out more about them. This is the first time that I have seen a picture of one online, so I'm very grateful for your post.

As the wife of a "Paddy", I'd love to build up my collection of these mugs. Do you see many of them around? And can you (or any other reader) recommend a way that I might come across any more for sale?

As you can probably tell, I'm quite a novice when it comes to pottery collection!

Many thanks, Kirsten

Kirsten Davies

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Wed 12 Aug - 21:03

We had one of these a couple of weeks back at work, I'll check when I'm in tomorrow whether it's still there, am happy to purchase and send to you at cost +plus postage if it's still there - it was very cheap.
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery Empty Hemara irish Coffee Mug

Post  Kirsten Davies Wed 12 Aug - 22:02

Hi Cat-a-lat

Wow, thanks a lot for getting in contact so quickly and for offering to check at your work for one of these mugs. I would be happy to pay for the item + postage. Cheers! Kirsten

Kirsten Davies

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 13 Aug - 8:10

Hi Kirsten, these turn up on Trade Me from time to time. If you do a search for Hemara and save it as a favourite, you will get notified of any listings that have been added.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17752
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Thu 13 Aug - 13:14

OK, it was still there and I bought it for $1. It has no markings on he base, but is otherwise identical to the mug in the above picture. Kristen if you could send me a private message with your address for posting, I will hopefully be able to get it sorted over weekend.
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kirsten Davies Wed 26 Aug - 14:28

Hi Ev

Sorry for my late reply - I somehow missed your post. Thanks a lot for your help and advice Smile

Cheers!
Kirsten

Kirsten Davies

Back to top Go down

Who made these Irish Coffee Mugs ?? Hemara? or another NZ Pottery Empty A Big Shout-Out To Cat-A-Lat!

Post  Kirsten Davies Wed 26 Aug - 14:35

Hi Cat-A-Lat, The Hemara mug has safely arrived and Paddy and I are delighted with it. Thanks again for being so lovely and helpful. Much appreciated Very Happy

Kirsten Davies

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Wed 26 Aug - 14:51

Hi Kirsten I have been on holiday and missed your post. You do see these mugs around in opshops - but it depends how much time you spend looking! Otherwise yes Trademe is a good option.
Enjoy your new treasure. It's so lovely to have a piece of NZ History.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Wed 26 Aug - 18:53

Great to hear it arrived safely! I was just wondering today whether it had arrived Smile
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum