NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe! EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe! EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe! EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe! EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe! EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe! EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe!

3 posters

Go down

Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe! Empty Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe!

Post  Cat-a-lat Mon 20 Jan - 12:26

Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe! Dsc03110

Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe! Dsc03111

Paul Walshe

Last edited by Cat-a-lat on Mon 2 Jun - 20:03; edited 1 time in total
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe! Empty Re: Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe!

Post  mumof1 Mon 20 Jan - 13:03

That is awesome Cat!! I have added the mark to the gallery too - Thank you!  Very Happy 
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe! Empty Re: Favourite blue platter - Paul Walshe!

Post  Ev Mon 20 Jan - 13:08

That mark looks like Paul Walshe to me Cat ...... could you check it out?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Mon 20 Jan - 13:24

I am not certain Either way - Paul Walshe was one I considered, and having the NZ there too.. hmmmm

The washed glaze is reminiscent of Paul's work, but this mark is tiny and quite controlled, paul's do tend to be larger and 'looser', his marks also tend to be glaze filled, whereas this one is incised through the glaze.

Paul's "z"s that I have seen have a straight bottom line, and this has a definite wiggle...

hmmmm
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Mon 20 Jan - 17:20

I don't think it looks like Paul Walshe, as he usually does his more vertically, and this mark is horizontal and looks to be slanting backwards a little. Paul's mark also looks to be made from long downward strokes, but this mark does not give that impression.
This auction also has NZ http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/other-nz-manufacturers/auction-680688909.htm and see the mark on my pot http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t3868-paul-walshe?highlight=paul+walshe where the P and W are quite defined.
Probably not too much help, but it is more similar I think to Cabbagetree pottery.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 20 Jan - 18:14

I'm backkkkkk ....

Check out this auction, even though you need a magnifying glass I can see the similar mark - http://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/art-deco-retro/kitchenware/auction-675316176.htm

That is one beautiful plate Cat !!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Mon 20 Jan - 18:33

I tend to agree, there are too many dissimilarities with the Paul Walshe's marks that I have seen. A pity I can't track down any examples of cabbage tree's work. Would be interesting to know who is/are the potter/s involved.

Editing because of Ev's latest post -
WOW Ev, I agree that that platter has aboslutely been made by the same hand as mine, but I would be interested in the provenance of the mark, i.e. how have they identified that mark as being Paul Walshe's. I might ask them a wee question on one of their ther listings (once I'm over the whole earthquake shock here)

Fantastic if it is, I just want to be as sure as possible, either way!
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 20 Jan - 18:46

Earthquake?  I must check out Geonet ..... oh wow 3.5 that would let you know what is happening ...... Hugs!
I've seen that mark credited to Paul Walshe many times, but I also have self doubts as his glazing practices are pretty boring unlike this plate of yours and that splatter plate.
The Cabbage Tree Pottery is pretty much an enigma.  I've never seen any of their work and heard that they worked on the North Shore, Auckland and I have asked around, as their mark shows up in the Potters Marks book.   I can only find one reference to their work on Trade Me from 2011 .... goblets and no images.  That is why I like to see not only a potters mark, but a piece of their work, so that there is some guide to confirm who made the pottery.

Edits to add is it true that there was a 6.3 quake 15 km east of Eketahuna????????

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Mon 20 Jan - 18:54

Never mind the 3.5, it was the 6.2 that shook me!!!!

Fell down the stairs and everything lol, bruised but ok.

We had just spent an hour unpacking breakables from  when we moved here over 3 years ago. 

Found my Doris Dutch trinket box, my partner had brought it upstairs from where I'd put it on the piano after unpacking. I had just finished washing it, in preparation for photos, put it on the table, walked 4 feet to get my camera, and that's when the earthquake hit! (it survived!)

stove moved 10cm, smashed bottle of plum sauce, a few small ornaments chipped or broken, pictures off walls, cascades of books/papers off shelves, doors swung open.

ALl my NZ pottery survived intact, a couple had a very lucky escape (stichbury and pat neighbour jugs) after nearly going out the window. I had just today brought a lot of stuff down from a high shelf in prep for blu-tacking, but it all survived anyway, as did my entire (blu-tacked) glass collection.

another wee aftershock now.... d
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 20 Jan - 19:00

OMG Cat it all sounds so scary ..... and yes I saw that the biggest was 6.3 !!!!
Please take good care of yourselves and don't worry about the pottery! *BIG HUGS*
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Mon 20 Jan - 19:58

Yes Cat, take care, and I hope you are all safe and well. It was bad enough here in Nelson, so it must have felt B awful for you up there!  sunny 
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Mon 20 Jan - 20:17

Thanks Smile Have given my shoulder a bit of a wrench too, the aches are setting in a bit now the adrenaline has faded!

At least we are far enough away that the aftershocks aren't too much of a bother, but it could be interesting getting to sleep tonight..
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Mon 20 Jan - 20:19

ACK!!!!! Just as I post that, another good wee jolt spikes the adrenaline again...

Really feeling for the folks closer to the epicentre.
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Tue 21 Jan - 7:57

I wish we could look up this old listing http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=481684119, or ask Paul Walshe?
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Fri 9 May - 20:25

I think this is cabbage tree again: 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/other-nz-manufacturers/auction-726876693.htm
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 19 May - 8:53

Same mark on another simply stunning piece !!!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=730991863

Just to recap - this work is definitely not Paul Walshe's and as the Cabbage Tree Pottery mark doesn't even look like PW on a lean, I can't see that it is their work either.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Mon 19 May - 19:12

Sigh, back to the drawing board then... 

FUnnily enough, I have the above platter on my watchlist Smile
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum