NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal EmptyToday at 7:38 by Ev

» Cornwall Collection d836 Contemporary Ceramics
Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal EmptyYesterday at 13:12 by Ev

» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal EmptySat 27 Apr - 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal

4 posters

Go down

Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal Empty Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 14 Mar - 12:42

Double handle mug in Lucow. I'm guessing 1042
Bought in a box at the local auction.
Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal Lucow210
102mm H x 79 OD, cylindrical body, no base marks

Well that's confusing!
I was going to post this as a reply to the 1064 link but I see this is a different shape.
See: http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t4747-1064-double-handle-coffee-mugs-courtesy-of-hazlette#17183
Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal Untitl15
Left photo by Hazlette. The handles on mine are smaller and higher.

I have no doubt it is a Crown Lynn because of the Lucow glaze.
I know it's not 1064 so I'm saying 1042.

I thought I'd bought a 1064 and taken one off my list but instead I've found another addition for the gallery: bugger....and yay!

Strange turn of events. I went to sleep last night thinking I wished I had splashed out on the 1064s on trademe as I would probably never see one again. They sold for $40 after I bowed out at $39. This morning a chance sequence of events took me to the auction house which I rarely do. Thought I had one but find I have something else. Weird!

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Tue 1 Jul - 21:13; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Change title)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal Empty Re: Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal

Post  Ev Fri 14 Mar - 17:39

Jeremy I have a diagram of the 1042 and it is totally different to this shape.
My thoughts are it is a 1064 with the handle higher and the handle also appears a bit smaller in size.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17732
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal Empty Re: Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 14 Mar - 18:23

Ta. I will change the title.

Well it may not be a different shape number then but maybe a different shape.

The measurements from Hazlette differ from mine.
Mine is clearly taller. It is a match for the Luke Adams 1086 Basalt mug from the chunky coffee set. Beside anything else the 1086 looks too big, but just right beside this "1064".

I don't know whether it's in the photography but the other looks possibly semi-conical and appears to have a flared rim. This one is pure cylinder.

The handle shape appears to be the same but sticks out less on mine.

This mug is vey nice to hold. There is room beneath the handle for a little finger. I think the lower handle on the other one is an aesthetic rather than ergonomic choice.

I love this already. I had my dinner beer out of it. And that Lucow glaze!

I don't know whether to put it on my Lucow-Aquamarine shelf or with the four digits.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sat 15 Mar - 21:06

Jeremy it would be good to see this one tomorrow too if you are able to bring it.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1976
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal Empty Hey, look what Kat found for me!

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 2 Apr - 13:42

Look what Kat found for me.
A 1064 in Basalt.

I now have double handled mugs in both Basalt and Lucow:Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal Double11

Now that I can see the two side by side, I'm having difficulty with the idea that the Lucow mug is also a 1064. Here are the differences I have found.

1. Size: The Lucow is 2+mm taller than the Basalt 1064 and also at least 2mm wider.
2. Handle: The handle on the Lucow is 5+mm bigger, top to bottom, and higher up.
3. Shape: The Lucow is plain and cylindrical, the 1064 has a flared top and rings, seen on the Basalt one but not visible beneath the thick glaze of Hazlette's mug, as seen above.

The Lucow is definitely a Crown Lynn Luke Adams, and I know now that it is not a 1042, but what is it?

I have just checked the Luke Adams list and come up blank!
I have even entertained the idea that it may be Aquamarine from the Titianware range but it certainly looks more like Lucow.
It may just have to stay a 1064.

Loose Ends: All the Aquamarine we have seen so far is high fire vitrified Chateau Range but we have only seen photos of the Expo 70 mug, and its backstamp does NOT say vitrified. It makes me wonder also about that green 660 vase that was on TM. Being from Auckland it would not be Lucow, but being earthenware it would not be high fired.

--------
7/3/14
I just realised that the unnumbered Lucow mug DOES have grooves or rings too: in the lower 2cm. It's not very noticeable because the glaze is so thick but I just saw it in the photo above and went and confirmed it. I can not see any further up than that.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Mon 7 Apr - 14:11; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Wed 2 Apr - 14:53

Yes Very Happy  I traded it for a Purple Myrtle Cup..great deal me thinks!! Cool 
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal Empty Oh, and then there's this...

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 2 Apr - 16:01

I set this aside (mug on right) when I saw the handle was smaller than the one on the Lucow mug, but now I see it is the same handle as the 1064, match for height and shape but not as deep through.
Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal Oh10
This pink and white mug is unmarked.
I do not recognise either the shape or the glaze as Crown Lynn.

Any ideas?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 11 May - 16:11

I was just looking at the Teal brochures in response to Mike's latest listing and I noticed one of their colourways appears to match my unknown mug above.

http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t938-teal-ceramics-balclutha#14151

The shape is alien, and the orientation is wrong.
I have arranged to see our Teal man next month so I will take it along and ask.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 1 Jul - 21:12

I was talking to Keith Sandford, one of the directors of Teal Ceramics today and he said that, yes, this is their glaze on the unmarked two-finger mug.

Keith shared the design at Teal with Ken Doidge, another former employee of McSkimmings. Keith does not now remember all their wares, which numbered well in excess of 100. This is not his design, but he said it does look like Ken's style of work.

All of Teal's output was vitrified castware. The casting of cups and mugs was labour intensive and was performed as outwork rather than by one of the seven in-house staff.

----------------
January 2015

I see from Portage that on the 1064s made in Auckland the concentric rings above the handle have been dropped from the design. That and the glaze on Hazlette's (hazedaze) mugs sold on trademe (one can be seen near the top of the topic) lead me to believe that they are Titianware ones. That this change was made between production of the Christchurch and Auckland 1064s hints to me that despite even greater differences my Lucow two-finger mug may yet turn out be a 1064, perhaps an earlier incarnation.

http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/account/3384/object/489016/Mug_-_bisque

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t4747-1064-double-handle-coffee-mugs-courtesy-of-hazlette#17183
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal Empty early Luke Adams 1064 in basalt

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 21 Feb - 16:51

An early Luke Adams 1064 in basalt.

So now I know that at least two 1064s were made in this high-handle version.
The glaze is probably basalt but I'm not totally sure.
Double Handle Mugs - Basalt and Lucow from CL and a likely Teal 106410
Luke Adams early 1064s in Lucow and Basalt

The Lucow glaze looks amazing in this photo.

It curves in a bit to a slightly narrower top than the Lucow one (otherwise the same measurements) but that could easily have happened in the fettling process.

It was so clean and shiny that I'm sure it's never been used.
Got a bit greasy in my hand on the drive from Dargaville this arvo.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum