NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ...

5 posters

Go down

Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... Empty Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ...

Post  Ev Thu 22 Jan - 7:29

The mark certainly reminds me of Mirek Smisek, but I can't remember ever seeing any of his work made with terracotta. The piece has been well crafted by someone who knows what they are doing. What are your thoughts?
Photos courtesy of buggerlugs.

Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... Bugger10

Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... Bugger11
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... Empty Re: Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ...

Post  Cat-a-lat Thu 22 Jan - 7:37

I'm having trouble telling for sure, with the way the glaze has overrun the edge a bit, but is the shape of the surround a hexagon, rather than a pentagon? I agree it does look similar to Mirek's mark, but keep coming up with 6 sides and I thought he used a 5 sided shape?
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... Empty Re: Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ...

Post  Ev Thu 22 Jan - 7:42

Yes Mirek's stamps have 5 angles ....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 22 Jan - 8:07

This way around it looks like the mark has 5 sides .....?

Buggerluggs would like help with this mark please ... Bugger12
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Thu 22 Jan - 13:10

I saw that listing, and was unsure if it was Mirek Smisek, but it does look like 5 sides up the other way, and in the auction, if it is the same photo. It is strange, because it looks like the pedestal has been added to the bowl as an afterthought.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 22 Jan - 13:17

Yes the stand would have been made separately and joined to the bowl sunshine sunny
Just by the fact that there is a person interested in the piece who knows their NZ Pottery I would say that confirms to me that it was made by a well known potter Wink

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/other/bowls-dishes/auction-836529714.htm
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teaandcoffee Thu 22 Jan - 21:59

The form looks like one I know that Smisek did, but mainly late in his career after he had moved from Te Horo to Waikanae. His Waikanae works tend to look a bit unfamiliar as they were fired in a small electric kiln - easier to manage for a person of advancing years - than the wood-fired salt kiln he had at Te Horo. I don't know about the clay - he could have been experimenting with the fabric as an alternative to the range of glaze effects he could no longer achieve in the new kiln.

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post  gloworm Sat 24 Jan - 13:04

hi. this mark looks similar to that in my "Terracotta Tall Pot.." post in that it seems to have the same number of radiating spokes. My pot does not have a shape around. I would be interested in identifying that too.
gloworm
gloworm

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 24 Jan - 18:14

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum