NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery? EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery? EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery? EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery? EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery? EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery? EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery? EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery? EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery? EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery?

+4
teaandcoffee
Cat-a-lat
Kat & Co.
Ev
8 posters

Go down

What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery? Empty What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery?

Post  Ev Mon 20 Apr - 18:45

I'm curious as I have no idea what others are prepared to pay to add to their collections. You don't have to say what the piece of pottery is or show a photo, just give us the dollar amount that you paid for your biggest treasure.

I will start the ball rolling, as I paid $800.00 or thereabouts for my special piece and that's not to say that is what it is worth as the battle involved a bidding war on Trademe and I made sure that I won Twisted Evil
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery? Empty Re: What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery?

Post  Kat & Co. Mon 20 Apr - 18:53

Whoa..I feel really cheap now! Very Happy ... $45 for studio pottery quite a few years ago..
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery? Empty Re: What is the most that you paid for a piece of NZ Pottery?

Post  Ev Mon 20 Apr - 19:05

Ok to be fair I will add one word to my post - Wharetana
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Mon 20 Apr - 19:37

$40 for my big Bryce Stevens vase, which was half price on the last day of trading of a shop neighbouring where I worked at the time (about 1994). I have paid in the region of $30 for a few other pieces on Trade Me, but  mostly my collection has been compiled in the dollars and cents price range from the local op-shops lol (the vast majority under $10). If I had the income to support it, I would pay much more Smile and would prefer to support the potters direct.
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  teaandcoffee Mon 20 Apr - 20:36

Bryce Stephens is still a seriously under-rated potter. He never even got a mention in Conetendown.

There is one piece on by him now: http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/other/vases/auction-875858577.htm

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Mon 20 Apr - 20:48

Yes, I saw that one and was hoping no-one else would notice! lol
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  teaandcoffee Mon 20 Apr - 22:59

Woops! Sorry, good luck Smile

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 21 Apr - 10:24

I've bought three times in the $200-300 range (once at an antique shop), but I check with Nicole first.

I believe my Wharetana mug was cheap at the price ($255 I think) and was surprised when the other bidder stopped. Not the prettiest one in the plain brown glaze but Wharetana nonetheless.

I've also dropped out of a few auctions in that range, when something is not a priority.

I believe I have bid higher on trademe, possibly over $1000, can't even remember what, but typically it would be to find out what the reserve is at the end of an auction, or when I'm pretty sure I'll be outbid. (I think that's what happened with the Wharetana.) That can be scary when it takes a while for the next bid to come in, but I've not won anything I didn't want.

I have had regrets at auctions missed, when in hindsight I think I should have hung in there a bit longer.

Cheers to those who just spend small dollars and still create amazing collections!
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Thelma Tue 21 Apr - 21:25

I confess I paid $145 (I think) for a beautiful piece of contemporary pottery that I had fallen in love with!
Thelma
Thelma

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Wed 22 Apr - 12:55

The most expensive was just over $200 for a Titian waka on Trade Me and $230 for a perfect yellow McAlpine jug from an Antiques Shop .
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 22 Apr - 13:19

My most expensive was my Wharetana Kokowai Bowl, so much I'm not even going to say, but we had to add the cost to the mortgage to get it! sunny
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum