NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Daniel Steenstra Timeline EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Daniel Steenstra Timeline EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Daniel Steenstra Timeline EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Daniel Steenstra Timeline EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Daniel Steenstra Timeline EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Daniel Steenstra Timeline EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Daniel Steenstra Timeline EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Daniel Steenstra Timeline EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Daniel Steenstra Timeline EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

Daniel Steenstra Timeline

2 posters

Go down

Daniel Steenstra Timeline Empty Daniel Steenstra Timeline

Post  Ev Thu 27 Aug - 10:56

Born in 1925 Daniel Steenstra was an extremely talented man and his reputation as a potter is held in the highest regard. His Father, Grandfather and Uncles were all hand potters and he learnt his skills from them.   He really should have more recognition for the work he produced over his lifetime of potting.  He was a very disciplined potter and produced at a steady rate all day long.  He didn't have to measure for lid sizes, but would occasionally check that he was on track.  His creative ability to make such beautiful shapes out of clay is beyond words.  I heard from a co-worker that he made the pots that Frank Carpay decorated.  There are many things that we still don't know about Dan, but this is what we do know at the moment.  His work is fervently collected by pottery enthusiasts and personally I can't get enough of it !!

Pre Crown Lynn; Dan worked at Crum Potteries according to his son Dom.  It would be good to know what he did when he was there.  Ian Crum said that Danny made pots on the wheel when he was working at Crum.

Early 1950's Daniel arrived in New Zealand.  I must work on finding out a date.

1953 Started work at Crown Lynn as a Hand Thrower after arriving from Holland.

1954 He married Wendy Bloomfield

1955  A son Dominicus is born.

1957  A daughter Sarah is born.

1967 A daughter Irena is born.

1972/73 He left Crown Lynn after a 20 year stint as a Hand Thrower.

1973 Dan is found working at Beach Artware throwing a variety of domestic ware products.  He taught many of the potters who worked there his techniques which have stood them in good stead.  They can only say wonderful things about Dan and praise his work.  Beach closed in 1978 after Peter Beach passed away.

1978 Stewart Salisbury said that Dan Steenstra worked for him at Stewart Potteries after Beach Artware closed, but not for very long as his heart wasn't into making slipware.

1978 Dan and his family were living in Pleasant Rd Glen Eden.

1978 circa Dan worked for Peter Lowrie a relation of Eva Beach.  Peter Lowrie worked at Beach Artware and used the same glazes on the wares that were made at his pottery.

1981 to 1993 Dan and Wendy are living in Hampstead Rd, Sandringham.

1990 circa Danny is working at Terra Ceramics as a potter for John and Sandra Hommer at Ward Street, New Lynn.  

1992 Daniel retired.

1998 Dan is living in Rawene

1999 Dan is now living at Haruru

2000 on the 7th September Daniel went to Potters' Heaven.  RIP

Last edited by Ev on Tue 5 Apr - 13:21; edited 7 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Daniel Steenstra Timeline Empty Re: Daniel Steenstra Timeline

Post  Ev Sat 29 Aug - 17:26

Thanks to one of our fine members for supplying this information about Danny Steenstra.

"I think I can help you with your time line Danny was working at Terra Ceramics in about 1990 He was working under John Hommer at Ward St New Lynn as a potter I had a picture of some of his work but can not find it also have a cup and saucer in NZ any thing you find with Terra Ceramic decal with a vase rather than the TC and is hand potted and hand painted is his work we did a lot of big platter bowls , mixing bowls, teapots sugar bowls and bakeware but he did not hand paint them maybe Sandra Hommer can help you."

So now we have to look out for hand made Terra Ceramics!!!!!!

Looking at the Terra Ceramics Gallery, we may already have some of Dan's work !!!
How exciting !!!!

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/gallery/Terra-Ceramics-New-Zealand/Terra-Ceramics-New-Zealand-cat_c73.htm
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 20 Aug - 11:53

A chance meeting with Ian Crum for the first time at the Crown Lynn Museum this week and I had to ask him the burning question regarding Dan Steenstra working at Crum Brick and Tile. Oh yes I remember Danny, Ian replied. He and his brother (a Dutch name starting with L ?) came and worked for Dad when they first came to New Zealand. Dad let Danny stay after work and use the wheel. Ian said he doesn't have any of Dan's work unfortunately.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sun 20 Aug - 11:59

Brilliant Ev! The brother was Thijs.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 5 Aug - 9:11

Daniel Steenstra moved his family to Coalgate west of Christchurch at one time to work at the pottery there. Apparently there a good seam of clay there supported the pottery.
John Heap thought he may have worked there for 8 years.
I think there is mention of this in the book written by his son Dom, but I will have to read it again to find it.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum