NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» 154 Swan mould from Crown Lynn
Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware  EmptyWed 15 May - 20:38 by ro

» Jack Krsinich - Foxton Beach
Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware  EmptyWed 15 May - 17:09 by ANNA KRSINICH

» Adrienne Smith
Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware  EmptyWed 15 May - 7:45 by UrsulaC

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware  EmptyTue 14 May - 16:25 by signal red

» Tea pot ID help please. This was made by David Griffith
Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware  EmptyTue 14 May - 8:48 by CrownPrince

» LARGE POTTERY WALL HANGING VESSEL - was made by John Ing
Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware  EmptyMon 13 May - 22:24 by Leesyloubee

» HELP TO ID MAKER MARK - WALL HANGING VESSEL it is Stephen Carter
Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware  EmptyMon 13 May - 22:23 by Leesyloubee

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware  EmptyMon 13 May - 12:03 by Maryr

» Orange Air NZ pattern no namer
Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware  EmptyMon 13 May - 11:06 by Ev

Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware

4 posters

Go down

Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware  Empty Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware

Post  Maryr Wed 26 Jul - 10:26

The ceramic artist Bruce Halliday ( http://www.brucehaliday.com/design/Bruce-Haliday-designs-home.html )  is currently selling some Crown Lynn bisque ware which he bought/acquired as CL was closing.  He says on Facebook that over the years he and others have decorated and sold much of this bisque ware.  This goes some way toward explaining why we find pieces with one-off decorations which are heavier than we would expect from Hobby Ceramics shapes.  Below is my question and his response. I have also provided a link to the original FB discussion. (This discussion is on a members-only group so I am not sure if everyone will have access).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1513988892232505/permalink/1758252947806097/

This is Bruce Halliday's original post - he is seeking to sell the last of his CL bisque ware.
When Crown Lynn closed down in the late 80's I collected / bought about 20 to 30 big crates of bisque ware from them. A lot of it got decorated, some ended up getting thrown out about 20 years ago but I still have some. It has been from Crown Lynn in New Lynn to my studio in Titirangi, then stored in Whangarei, then to my studio in Kingsland, then to Titirangi, then to Parau, then to Kelston for a few years, now I have to move it again. There isn't much left and most of what is left is soiled but it is just organic material, so it will come off. I have put them in a dish washer before and after that fired them to get rid of most if not all the marks.
There is a range of stuff, some of the more interesting is what perhaps could be called naked fleurette, bisqued, unglazed items with no pattern painted on it. As well as other stamped items and unstamped items. There are plates, bowls, gravy boats and saucers. Saucers without cups. There are still hundreds of items.
I was going to put it on Trademe, I was wondering if it had any value to a collector. I was after some feedback. Remember it's dirty, some has been left outside, some is unmarked. See photos below.
I am after some feedback.

My question:
Val Monk Bruce when you say some of your CL bisque "got decorated" do you mean that you and/or others decorated quite a bit of it for sale? I ask because sometimes we come across CL shapes which have non-standard decorations but the density and weight of genuine CL (rather than hobby ceramics.)

His reply:
Bruce Haliday Val Monk Yes, I decorated a bit of it and my partner. And we used it for classes so kids decorated it as well. Other potters got some as well. As stated in the previous comment. I got a lot but either Bob or Cathrine or maybe someone else got quite a bit. Most of the ones we did weren't very well decorated really. Actually my partner was a better decorator than me. It really was just a money earner, nothing greatly memorable. So of the plates and bowls still had the fleurette pattern on them after we were finished. (I remember thinking, that would confuse people one day. Some had a spot over the Crown Lynn mark. I did actually make a cup to go with one of the saucers, but know CL marks on those. Here's my website, http://www.brucehaliday.com/.../Bruce-Haliday-designs... But none of the CL on this.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware  Empty Re: Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware

Post  Ev Wed 26 Jul - 11:47

Cam and Bev Brown mentioned that they bought crates of bisque ware when Crown Lynn closed down. However they were unable to find a glaze that would fit and stay on so it all ended up as fill under their driveway and carpark.

I thought this would be the case regarding weird and wonderful pots that turn up that haven't been decorated by Crown Lynn, but are from the last runs of crockery shapes that they made. It's great to have this confirmed.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17753
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware  Empty Re: Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 26 Jul - 13:11

Val's link to Bruce's website gives an error message.

This one works:

http://www.brucehaliday.com/design/Bruce-Haliday-designs-home.html

I had a look and he has lovely images of his work catalogued from 1986.

I'd love to find one of his Memphis pieces.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Wed 26 Jul - 18:53

Yippee! I just read in the above link Bruce Haliday & Susan Newby collaborated on the barbed wire Bizarre Bra..would that be his partner?
I have this Crown Lynn brighly decorated cup & saucer signed S Newby.
I will put this question to him on FB, no I cannot can someone else ask pls.

Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware  Handpa10
Bruce Haliday and others decorated Crown Lynn bisque ware  Blue_f10
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2312
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 26 Jul - 19:58

This is fantastic Kat and of course it will be her work.  These are the later shaped cups that Crown Lynn made.  Can you find the post you initially made so that we can edit it?  Can you add Sue's mark to the Gallery please?
I couldn't remember what had turned up on the site from these wares that were sold at the closing down of Crown Lynn, but I knew there were a few pieces.  I know there was also a Modello gravy boat that I think had Steiner on it, but I couldn't find it.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 26 Jul - 20:35

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 27 Jul - 17:33

I've asked Bruce Halliday to confirm that those cup and saucers were decorated by Sue Newby Kat.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum