NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced

4 posters

Go down

RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced Empty RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced

Post  BrunoL Tue 4 Sep - 19:44

I’ve been keeping an eye out over the past 18-24 months try and determine:
  1. How many patterns were made by Crown Lynn for the Royal New Zealand Air Force
  2. What time period each was made

Watching auctions on Trade Me etc. has shown a wide and I’ve always been curious as to how many there actually are.
So far I’ve counted six different ‘styles’, more than for either the Army or Navy, the most recent being introduced around 1980 (which possibly replaced all previous versions looking at production dates).

Below are the styles I’ve noted so far:

1. - Red monogram with thin red line on outer edge - 1948-1955 backstamp only
I’ve only seen a couple of pieces with this style. Both were early pieces with the 1948-1955 cursive backstamp.
{no image}

2. - Blue monogram on plain white - 1948-1955 thru to 1977
I’ve seen a handful of this design in plates, saucers and bowls.
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced 52398276775_54dbe999e7_c

3. - Blue monogram with think blue outer edge - 1948-1955 thru to 1978
Another common style during this time.
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced 52398261520_1358327173_c

4. - Blue monogram with thin blue line and gold leaf edging - 1968-1978
There is a possible example of this style with the 1955-1964 backstamp in this post, though it looks like the gold edging has worn away over time.
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced 52397321897_fe758ab526_c

5. - White with gold edging – simplified RNZAF crest – 1966-1978
Suggested as used for VIP’s. Ofically listed as RNZAF Burnished Gold Eagle Govt d965
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced 52398119934_e8fcaa7678_c

6. - Blue monogram with thin blue line and orange edging - 1980-1988
There is still a lot of this style around and I’ve not managed to find any dated earlier than 1980
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced 52398139054_5fd6fdb1ea_c

My question: has anybody seen any examples for any of these styles that would push out these date ranges in either direction?

The most curious ones are the red-badged versions. I've only seen two, both very early designs, so it doesn't appear to have be made for particularly long. Conversely, there appears to have been at least four different styles all being made at the same time until the late 1970's, when they all appear to have been replaced with the blue and orange versions that are still common on sites like Trade Me.

Note: There have been reports around what style was used by which part of the airforce (eg “orange line detail for N.C.O.’s and enlisted personal mess, blue/gold lines for officers”) and I’m not looking to try and prove or disprove these reports. After all, individual pieces would have remained in use for a long time after being produced, and production dates only tell us so much. At this point, I've just trying to get  handle on the date ranges that each style was produced over.

Last edited by BrunoL on Sun 2 Oct - 12:43; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited October 2022 as photos were no longer displaying)
BrunoL
BrunoL

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2016-01-26

Back to top Go down

RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced Empty RNZAF Crowns

Post  Nana2x2 Wed 5 Sep - 8:26

RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced Img_8911
RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced Img_8910

Hi BrunoL

What I find interesting is the 'Kings Crown' emblem on a relatively new backstamp. When were these made until and why? Queen Elizabeth 11 reign started started 1952. Where these used in different areas as you stated?
Nana2x2
Nana2x2

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2016-10-21

Back to top Go down

RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced Empty Re: RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced

Post  BrunoL Wed 5 Sep - 21:41

Hi Nana2x2,

the style of crown and the date of the items isn't something I've been recording but I might start doing so, to see if I can decipher any patterns from the dates.

So far (knock on wood) I've only noticed the variation in the crowns in the blue and orange striped plates which appear to have been produced only in the 1980s.

There has been some discussion on the crowns before in the below threads

The second link contains the following snippet from Ev (best to read the whole thread for context)
"The records show that this badge was first used in 1980 and says that the Georgian crown was changed to the Edwardian." However, both crown variants appear after 1980 so I don't think we are any clearer yet.
BrunoL
BrunoL

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2016-01-26

Back to top Go down

RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced Empty Re: RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced

Post  Nana2x2 Thu 6 Sep - 8:06

Hi BrunoL

Thanks for including the links, very interesting info. It appears there is no correlation between reigns and crockery insignia. I suppose there would be reason behind it and one day I might find out?

cheers
Nana2x2
Nana2x2

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 6 Sep - 8:22

Adding the record from the Crown Lynn Badges Book so you can see the context it was written in.
Thanks to Te Toi Uku for having this record and letting me photograph it.
I don't usually do this, but this is an ongoing myth that gets perpetuated on Trade Me usually by people who know their insignia.

RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced Rnzaf10
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Nana2x2 Thu 6 Sep - 10:19

Many thanks Ev for taking the time to add this, it is so interesting really.
Having worked in production with applied (printed) logos (etc), I know changing it takes time, effort and money. Change comes down to 'is it worth it, is it really important?'
cheers
Nana2x2
Nana2x2

Back to top Go down

RNZAF crockery and when each pattern was produced Empty Rnzaf plain plates

Post  Raksha Sat 6 Nov - 18:40

Hi ya sobi have in my possession 400+plates and cups on behalf of our cadet unit.
I've loved reading your thread about each design and whi they were used for but who were the plain white monogrammed ones used for???

Raksha

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2021-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 7 Nov - 7:02

These would have been used by all of the Air Force workforce that didn't have high rankings.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum