NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? EmptyToday at 14:01 by Kotuku

» Studio ceramics " bugger mugs " plate
Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? EmptyYesterday at 6:28 by JanPots

» Pottery marks
Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? EmptyThu 9 May - 19:01 by Bold90s

» Neil Grant
Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? EmptyThu 9 May - 12:51 by Ev

» Orange and Brown amazing pattern
Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? EmptyWed 8 May - 7:51 by Ev

» Glenn Beattie
Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? EmptyWed 8 May - 7:40 by Ev

» Rancich/Silva Shape 58
Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? EmptyMon 6 May - 14:46 by JanPots

» NOT a Sherwood Pottery Galleon, as Made in Japan
Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? EmptyMon 6 May - 8:45 by Ev

» Minna Bondy
Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? EmptySun 5 May - 7:29 by Ev

Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn?

2 posters

Go down

Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? Empty Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn?

Post  Angel Thu 28 Jan - 21:24

I found this really pretty, teal coloured cup the other day with flowers on the inside and outside.  It's marked "Made In New Zealand" on the bottom, so I wondered if it was Crown Lynn or not.  Can anyone help with identification?  I've tried to use the CL webpage to identify, but I can't negotiate my way around it without more information.  Thanks.

Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? P1120311

Angel

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2020-09-13

Ev and Hannele like this post

Back to top Go down

Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? Empty Re: Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn?

Post  Angel Thu 28 Jan - 21:25

Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? P1120312

Angel

Back to top Go down

Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? Empty Re: Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn?

Post  Angel Thu 28 Jan - 21:26

Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? P1120313

Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Thu 28 Jan - 21:27

Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? P1120314

Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Thu 28 Jan - 21:28

last picture.......Is this teal coloured, flower decorated cup Crown Lynn? P1120315

Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 29 Jan - 7:04

Hi Angel, yes the cup was made by Crown Lynn and is a Shape 3019.
I've never seen the decoration before and wonder if it was done by a China Painter at some time. It is very sweet, but I'm not sure it was painted at Crown Lynn.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17742
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Angel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Fri 29 Jan - 12:31

Thanks for the identification. I've seen several plates, etc, that have been decorated post production and they always feel rough and look hand painted. The decoration is definitely underneath the glaze on this cup (it feels totally smooth) and looks more like a repeated transfer rather than handpainted (although I know some painters with exquisite skills) plus I had it soaking for about a day as it was badly stained on the inside (tea or coffee I think) and it came out .... lovely Smile Do you think it might have been worked on by an apprentice as a practice piece prior to glazing? I'm not really sure how the decorating / glazing process really works. Thanks again.

Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 29 Jan - 12:35

Now I think about it, one of the decorators said that when things were quiet they could decorate things however they wanted, so perhaps this is from one of those times?
If it is a decal that feels smooth, it would have been glazed after the decal was put on and will not wear off.
I wonder if there are any more out there???
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Fri 29 Jan - 12:46

Curiouser and curiouser Smile Do you know if the flower decoration was used on any other CL pieces in that case?

Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 29 Jan - 12:50

I haven't seen it on anything else, though they would have got heaps of samples I'm sure.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Angel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Fri 29 Jan - 19:22

OK, thanks for that. I'm guessing I probably won't be able to find a matching saucer then or even a matching cup and saucer to make a pair. Oh well.

Angel

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum