NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Critters d731
lynn - Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia EmptyToday at 18:52 by JanPots

» Blue Daisy Spray Pattern
lynn - Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia EmptyToday at 16:07 by Kat & Co.

» Oakley Lodge
lynn - Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia EmptyToday at 15:50 by Kat & Co.

» 154 Swan mould from Crown Lynn
lynn - Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia EmptyWed 15 May - 20:38 by ro

» Jack Krsinich - Foxton Beach
lynn - Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia EmptyWed 15 May - 17:09 by ANNA KRSINICH

» Adrienne Smith
lynn - Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia EmptyWed 15 May - 7:45 by UrsulaC

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
lynn - Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia EmptyTue 14 May - 16:25 by signal red

» Tea pot ID help please. This was made by David Griffith
lynn - Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia EmptyTue 14 May - 8:48 by CrownPrince

» LARGE POTTERY WALL HANGING VESSEL - was made by John Ing
lynn - Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia EmptyMon 13 May - 22:24 by Leesyloubee

Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia

2 posters

Go down

lynn - Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia Empty Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia

Post  BrunoL Mon 7 Jun - 13:31

I've been searching through Trove - an Australian website that has links and resources from a variety of libraries, museums etc. in Australia.

Among the entries were a large number of advertisements for Crown Lynn, including colour scans from the Australian Womans' Weekly.
(There are also the earlier advertisements for Ambrico Ware which Ev has linked to in a separate post).

A few which caught my attention:
(The Australian Women's Weekly - 6 December 1978)
(The Australian Women's Weekly - 5 May 1965)
(The Australian Women's Weekly - 23 December 1964)
James A. Michener.
Dorothy Thorpe.
(who?)
(The Australian Women's Weekly - 10 May 1967)
The latest designs from the Crown Lynn tableware selection reflect all of New Zealand's beautiful scenery, from the intriguing interpretation of "Landscape" pattern, reminiscent of a deeply etched river bed to "Evening" and "Delicacy" featuring delicate arrangements of wildflowers and native grasses on crisp white backgrounds.
(The Australian Women's Weekly - 12 December 1979)
Grace your table with the beautiful Kelston earthenware by Crown Lynn, attractively styled in warm spicy tonings or exciting abstract designs. Two modern shapes to choose from - at this remarkably low price.
(The Australian Women's Weekly - 19 March 1975)

A couple of highlights:

• Interesting to hear how the 60 piece Apollo set was advertised as having a covered cheese dish - presumably that was the long butter dish and lid though we may never know for sure.
  • Also interesting that in export markets there were no issues with Crown Lynn and Kelston brand names appearing together. Something I can't imagine happening back "home" in New Zealand.
BrunoL
BrunoL

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2016-01-26

kayabraham and CrownPrince like this post

Back to top Go down

lynn - Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia Empty Re: Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia

Post  Ev Mon 7 Jun - 16:41

Thanks a lot Bruno Very Happy

I enjoy going through that resource too.
Here is the covered cheese dish, but it sits on a side plate
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/gallery/Crown-Lynn-Shapes-Catalogue-with-Four-Digits/Castware-Earthenware-1000-1599/1130-round-fluted-butter-cover-canada-this-sits-on-an-Apollo-side-plate-pic_6824.htm

Also different outlets got Crown Lynn and Kelston brand names and they were keenly protected. For example Milne and Choyce got the Crown Lynn brand and Woolworths got the Kelston brand. Don't quote me on that, but it goes something along those lines.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17754
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

lynn - Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia Empty Re: Crown Lynn Advertisements in Australia

Post  BrunoL Mon 7 Jun - 20:42

Just for fun I thought I'd have a go recreating the Beautiful Tableware ad from 1979 (third from bottom) but with a couple of pattern changes... hopefully one day I'll manage to fill in the blanks  Laughing

Where the patterns changed I tried to fill in the gaps using as much of their marketing style as I could...

BrunoL
BrunoL

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2016-01-26

Ev and kayabraham like this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum