NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
architecture in pottery EmptyToday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
architecture in pottery EmptyToday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
architecture in pottery EmptyToday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
architecture in pottery EmptyYesterday at 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
architecture in pottery EmptyYesterday at 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
architecture in pottery EmptyYesterday at 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
architecture in pottery EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
architecture in pottery EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
architecture in pottery EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

architecture in pottery

3 posters

Go down

architecture in pottery Empty architecture in pottery

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 17 Sep - 10:08

As an architectural historian I make a point of collecting sundry objects related to my area of interest, NZ architecture (mainly domestic) around the turn of the twentieth century. I have furniture by 3 Auckland architects from that time and a guache painting by another. I also have some ceramic representations of buildings.

Crown Lynn produced a series of whisky bottles (originally full), I understand, for 1st class passengers. (If anyone can add info or correct me I would be grateful).
I see them around now and then but prices can be high, probably more so if they are full. I think there were four in the series, hopefully more. I did make a point of buying one because I had studied the work of the architects responsible for the building it took the shape of: the Ponsonby Fire Station in St Mary's Road, later Plusone restaurant. The building dates from about 1905 and was designed either by Goldsbro' and Wade architects, or Wade and Wade architects The main fire station in Pitt St was originally built in the same style. The bottle measures 90 x 40 x 30mm. Another in the series was one or other of the two two-storey cottages that confront you at the top of Curran St, on Jervois Rd. I forget what else there is.

Along the same lines I have acquired salt and peppers with transfers of the centennial tower, the most appropriate shape for a tower I think.
Another building in pottery which I am extremely proud to have found is a representation in bisque (marketed by Milne and Choice) of the main building for the 1913 exhibition in Auckland Domain by Bamford and Pierce architects. Although it is not NZ-made I would be happy to show it if there is any interest.

LINK ADDED http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t4290-porcelain-bisque-1913-aim-exhibition-auckland#14932

I have friends who collect ceramics with pictures transfer images of NZ locations and buildings. Most were made overseas. Is there a place for those in this forum? (or just NZ-made)
Jeremy
architecture in pottery Whisky10

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Thu 28 Nov - 10:30; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : added photo, ADD LINK)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

architecture in pottery Empty Re: architecture in pottery

Post  HeatherT Fri 17 Sep - 17:46

HI Jeremy, we have a couple of links to the First Class Air New Zealand liquer bottles and I have the butcher one..here is one of the links I found, maybe we need to amass to one topic...
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/kiwiana-f39/air-new-zealand-mini-buildings-t108.htm
HeatherT
HeatherT

Number of posts : 874
Interests: : Crown Lynn animals, swans and vases
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 17 Sep - 19:51

Thanks for all that Heather.

I note that the bottle for the Waipori Hotel uses the blank for the firestation.
I believe the originals will have been real buildings, the latter to make up the 13 I don't know.
I've just checked "Urban Village" a Ponsonby history by Jenny Carlyon and Diana Morrow. Photo page 31 shows the bottle is a fair representation. I'd like to see more bottles, try and identify the buildings, should they still exist or a record remain.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 17 Sep - 20:46

A link about the miniatures for you Jeremy...
http://www.airnzhouses.com/index.html
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 18 Sep - 10:58

Been there done that, now.
Great site: I've emailed Graham
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 18 Sep - 16:57

"I have friends who collect ceramics with pictures transfer images of NZ locations and buildings. Most were made overseas. Is there a place for those in this forum? (or just NZ-made)"

There is a topic named 'Pottery Related' in the Cooee Corner category, where anything about pottery can be posted Jeremy .....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum