NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» R A Shufflebotham, painter (Not NZ)
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown EmptyToday at 7:46 by Maryr

» Northland Pottery identification
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown EmptyThu 25 Jul - 16:57 by Wayne

» Topaz Tableware by Crown Lynn
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:53 by Ev

» Like Topaz and Like Vintage made in Philippines
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:48 by Itsyawnoc

» Crown Lynn bambi lamp for gallery
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown EmptyTue 23 Jul - 19:24 by BeauMontgomeryEverett

» Shape 72 being used for the first time ...
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown EmptyTue 23 Jul - 10:38 by Ev

» Blue glaze cup CB?
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown EmptySun 21 Jul - 17:28 by Ferret

» Vintage Pat. No. 982
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown EmptySat 20 Jul - 18:15 by nessymc2

» Can you help with identifying this Potters Mark please?
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown EmptySat 20 Jul - 15:35 by JanPots

Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown

2 posters

Go down

Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown Empty Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown

Post  Maryr Wed 22 May - 14:02

EDIT - This mould has been checked by the modeller and mould maker from Studio Ceramics. He says it was not made at Studio Ceramics. (Nor is it Crown Lynn). Both Bruce and Signal Red tell me it was made by 'an amateur' - so it has created some of the many knock-offs of Crown Lynn swans that we see in NZ
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The other day Signal Red kindly alerted me to a swan mould for sale not far from my home so I pounced on it.  (I was so excited on pickup that I forgot to pay the seller for it!  Since rectified).

This mould is too large for a small swan.  I tried it with my swans. The best fit is the CL 170.  However I do know that pottery shrinks when it dries and is fired... so I am thinking this mould might be Studio Ceramics or made off a CL swan in somone's garage?  The person who sold it to me has had it for over 10 years, bought off someone who lived in the country near Whangarei.  The elderly original owner had died and her daughter was selling off assets which included a number of moulds.  I am not sure if 'my' seller bought all the moulds or only some of them.
Other mould shapes that I saw were Arnels etc, this was the only one of interest to me.
Anyway, here are some pics.   I have put other swans in the moulds to compare sizes.  The white swan is CL, the pink is Studio Ceramics and the yellow-beak is an unknown knockoff with a shiny glaze.
I am sorry that these images are upside down etc. I can't change these but think I have solved the problem - there was a bug in the Samsung software.  

Here (thanks Ev!) is a link to a previous post about a Crown Lynn swan mould. This is the small one.
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t722-154-swan-mould-from-crown-lynn?highlight=swan+mould

Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown Swan_m11
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown Swan_m10
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown Swan_m12
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown Swan_m14
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown Swan_m13
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown Swan_m16
Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown Swan_m15

Last edited by Maryr on Tue 28 May - 10:48; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : updating information)
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1988
Registration date : 2011-11-17

JanPots likes this post

Back to top Go down

Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown Empty Re: Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown

Post  Ev Wed 22 May - 16:08

The clay shrinks about 10% to the finished product.

Heather bought a Crown Lynn Swan mould from Manos.
It is on the site somewhere.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17868
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

JanPots likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum