NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» R A Shufflebotham, painter (Not NZ)
A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus EmptyToday at 7:46 by Maryr

» Northland Pottery identification
A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus EmptyThu 25 Jul - 16:57 by Wayne

» Topaz Tableware by Crown Lynn
A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:53 by Ev

» Like Topaz and Like Vintage made in Philippines
A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:48 by Itsyawnoc

» Crown Lynn bambi lamp for gallery
A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus EmptyTue 23 Jul - 19:24 by BeauMontgomeryEverett

» Shape 72 being used for the first time ...
A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus EmptyTue 23 Jul - 10:38 by Ev

» Blue glaze cup CB?
A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus EmptySun 21 Jul - 17:28 by Ferret

» Vintage Pat. No. 982
A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus EmptySat 20 Jul - 18:15 by nessymc2

» Can you help with identifying this Potters Mark please?
A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus EmptySat 20 Jul - 15:35 by JanPots

A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus

2 posters

Go down

A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus Empty A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus

Post  Ev Tue 2 Nov - 10:16

A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus Crown_10

and the base ...
A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus Crown_11
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17868
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus Empty Re: A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus

Post  Ev Tue 2 Nov - 18:41

Do you have any history on this piece Marcus?
It's unusual to see red earthenware clay named as Crown Lynn..... perhaps Rhodes is the exception Wink
The base has been cut with a special cutting wire that leaves those beautiful marks behind.
This tells me that it would have been handmade .....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus Empty Re: A mystery Crown Lynn pot from the Collection of Marcus

Post  Marcus Tue 2 Nov - 19:13

Hi Ev,
This was either made at Crum Brick and Tile or Crown Lynn, by a potter that my elderly neighbour met. My neighbour was in charge of one of the diggers in the various clay pits around New Lynn and other locations in West Auckland. As is the standard story he can't recall the potters name ( I don't think they were particularly concerned with remembering all the various people that worked there and his memories are really only of the guy's he directly had contact with on a daily basis)
He does however remember some of the "arty" potter types coming in to have pieces salt-glazed at the Crum factory. (I take it he means Len Castle & Peter Stichbury among others)
Anyway it's the same story with the other piece I sent you an image of, the potting itself seems to be of a reasonably high standard?
The clay itself is a lovely colour, very much of the brick making type.

Marcus

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 2 Nov - 20:58

A brilliant piece of history - regardless that there isn't a makers name to go with the pieces Marcus Very Happy
Maybe the 'Arty Potters' would remember who was throwing pots when they took in with their work to be fired back then? Wink
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum