NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» R A Shufflebotham, painter (Not NZ)
should I buy them EmptyToday at 7:46 by Maryr

» Northland Pottery identification
should I buy them EmptyThu 25 Jul - 16:57 by Wayne

» Topaz Tableware by Crown Lynn
should I buy them EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:53 by Ev

» Like Topaz and Like Vintage made in Philippines
should I buy them EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:48 by Itsyawnoc

» Crown Lynn bambi lamp for gallery
should I buy them EmptyTue 23 Jul - 19:24 by BeauMontgomeryEverett

» Shape 72 being used for the first time ...
should I buy them EmptyTue 23 Jul - 10:38 by Ev

» Blue glaze cup CB?
should I buy them EmptySun 21 Jul - 17:28 by Ferret

» Vintage Pat. No. 982
should I buy them EmptySat 20 Jul - 18:15 by nessymc2

» Can you help with identifying this Potters Mark please?
should I buy them EmptySat 20 Jul - 15:35 by JanPots

should I buy them

2 posters

Go down

should I buy them Empty should I buy them

Post  lydia Thu 16 Dec - 23:06

Hi a total newbie to this site. While browsing at my local St Vde P today, eye was taken by 4 cups and saucers, turned them over to see Crown Lynn Pottery mark (and a number which I cant recall). It seems the pattern is the Homestyle, and the cups and saucers have a pink rim ... are they worth buying to use/as an investment? They are $2 for a cup and saucer, so $8 in total... cheers!

Also they had some crockery with ironstone new zealand underneath... having just come back from NZ I am rather taken with the dark colours of the crockery. They too are $2 for a cup and saucer set...

t

lydia

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-12-16

Back to top Go down

should I buy them Empty Re: should I buy them

Post  mrnarna Fri 17 Dec - 5:02

Hi Lydia and welcome to the site.

As an investment the Homestyle dinnerware wont really pay for your retirement. But to use on a daily basis any old Crown Lynn will outperform any of the modern Junk from China that is sold in the "Big Red Shed".

Trademe is a great way to judge the worth of any dinnerware, there are the odd Pattern that is collectible, Sapphire, Most of the Colour Glaze Range, Ponui, and so on. but even that really isnt a great investment.

But buy the dinnerware because you want it, and definitely use it. It is very hard wearing and built to last.

The $2 per piece is a little steep, heck I got a 24 piece dinner set in home style for $5 at a garage sale.

Me thinks your St vinnies is cashing in on the whole Crown Lynn thing. The one near me charges 20c per piece. Smile

good luck and if you need help this is the right place to ask for it.

:narna:
mrnarna
mrnarna

Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2010-05-04

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mrnarna/

Back to top Go down

should I buy them Empty Re: should I buy them

Post  lydia Fri 17 Dec - 9:52

thank you for your quick reply, interesting comments about prices. We are finding many of the top name charity shops becoming more like boutiques over here, with prices to match.

We had a simply wonderful time on our two visits to NZ the past two Novembers..... your op shops are wonderful!!! We found ourselves having to repack at the check in counter as we were 5kg overweight Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thank you for your comments re the pottery, I will go back and buy them because I would rather have long lasting pieces for daily use

lydia

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-12-16

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum