NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl ......

3 posters

Go down

Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... Empty Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl ......

Post  Ev Sun 2 Jan - 9:15

If only this grand old Crown Lynn 707 big mixing bowl could talk!
Created out of a lump of clay in maybe the 1940's or 1950's, you would have been used to make many wonderful things for special occasions ..... Christmas cakes.... Wedding cakes .... Birthday cakes .... Christening cakes .....and then there would be the Bread and lots of it .... Hot Cross buns ... Scones.... huge Pavlova .... countless cakes and biscuts to keep the cake tins filled for the family. You would have been treated with respect and lovingly taken care of, being an essential part of the kitchen.

Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... Crown_42

But then one day something dreadful must have happened to you!!! A large ugly crack appears down one side .... did somebody drop you perhaps..... or knock you against something very hard? Now that would have been a dilemma for the woman of the house .... who may have even shed a few tears for you.

Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... Crown_43

You still managed to keep it together ..... Bravo! But now your life was changed forever as that horrid crack could harbour countless nasties, so your happy life in the kitchen was over. Luckily things didn't get thrown away in those days, but were used in other ways and someone .... you will know who ... decided that you could be used as a pot plant pot!! I'm happy and sad at the same time for you mixing bowl. As somebody then went on to drill holes in your base ..... oh shudder me!! You held it together .... Bravo!

Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... Crown_44

You lead a charmed life now in your 60's or 70's as you have nothing to do other than to be a reminder of days long gone and now here you are getting your photo taken and being written about. Keep on keeping it together lovely old mixing bowl Smile
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Melita and Tier Carter like this post

Back to top Go down

Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... Empty Re: Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl ......

Post  Thelma Sun 2 Jan - 20:36

That is a lovely story Ev Sad sniff sniff! My large mixing bowl in the garden could probably have a similar story to tell. I don't think mine is CL at all though, looks a bit like the large temuka two tone bowls.
Thelma
Thelma

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Back to top Go down

Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl  ...... Empty Re: Once I was a treasured Mixing Bowl ......

Post  TonyK Mon 3 Jan - 0:37

I'll second that emotion Ev. A beautifully crafted story - which nicely links into the refrence to kintsugi in that Education Resource Card from the WCAG - and this kind of thing:
http://parenthetically.blogspot.com/2010_11_01_archive.html

or this: http://andrewbaseman.com/blog/?m=201011
TonyK
TonyK

Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum