NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !! Plus list of decorators

+2
Ev
mumof1
6 posters

Go down

Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators Empty Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !! Plus list of decorators

Post  mumof1 Fri 11 May - 16:20

Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators Dsc00810
Here is my unusual Crown Lynn fruit bowl !! It is stamped with the crown & one star, but also with Catherine Anselmi stamp (I'm sure that's what it is). The glaze is unusual, and I was expecting the fruit to be over an original glaze, but no, one glaze and the white is very white. I don't know what the black lettering means, but is under or within the glaze (the 92 is the same number as in the link below, but 1992 seems too late). The only other marking is on the unglazed interior of the pedestal, and I'm sure it is the number 8.
The other photos may help you to see my new treasure better. I don't know the connection between these two, except for the article I read on here (this site) about her buying some Crown Lynn equipment. Perhaps she purchased some blanks? Although, where did the CL stamp come from?  Suspect
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CATHERINE-ANSELMI-STUDIO-MODERN-ART-POTTERY-PLATTER-ANGEL-FISH-NEW-ZEALAND-/250885692771
I found this plate also, the stamp looks the same and it also has the '92.
Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators Dsc00811
Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators Dsc00812
Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators Dsc00813
The marks are so faint, it is hard to get a photo of them...
Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators Dsc00814
I wonder how many other items are out there with both stamps  confused

Last edited by Ev on Thu 18 Apr - 9:06; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : too many words to type so fast ~ spelling & diction)
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators Empty Re: Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !! Plus list of decorators

Post  Ev Sun 13 May - 9:05

Ever so interesting!
I would suggest that P L is the intitials of the artist who decorated the bowl and will look out the New Zealand Potter mag I have with an article on Catherine, as I'm sure it has names of decorators that worked for her.
That link to ebay was great, as it gave the name of Angela Thomas as the artist.
1992 sounds right to me ....
I've seen both stamps on wares the same shapes as Crown Lynn ware before.
No idea how she got an old Crown Lynn stamp, but if she got hold of their moulds, perhaps there were stamps available as well ....?
One of Crown Lynn's top slip casters worked for Catherine - will find his name when I locate the article.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators Empty Re: Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !! Plus list of decorators

Post  Ev Sun 13 May - 11:17

New Zealand Potter Volume 33: Number 3: 1991 - page 23
Here is a list of all of the decorators that worked for Catherine Anselme at that time:
Angela Thomas
Melanie Prince
Susan Firth
Pamela Lim
Keely McGlynn
Alice Smith
Rosanne Sullivan
Philippa Taylor
Carin Townley
Sarah Ferguson
Carla Clee is not on this list, so adding her here.

So now you know who decorated your bowl Very Happy

Last edited by Ev on Thu 18 Apr - 9:05; edited 4 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

mumof1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Sun 13 May - 13:16

Thanks for taking the time to find all that out Ev, you are a treasure! I read somewhere online also, that Catherine employed at lease one ex Crown Lynn staff member. Another thing I noticed while researching her (or trying to), was that every piece I found on auction or on show had crazing like mine ~ fascinating !
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 29 Oct - 14:39

For all pots from the Catherine Anselmi studio:

The Crown Lynn stamp indicates that it was a Crown Lynn mould (shape) acquired and produced in the Catherine Anselmi studio. The Catherine Anselmi stamp indicates it was produced in the Catherine Anselmi studio. The letters or name indicate the person who painted it and usually the year was added.

If there is no name and date this usually means it was a production design that anyone in the studio could have painted.

We had permission from Ceramco to use the Crown Lynn stamp on shapes that originated in Crown Lynn.

So your piece is painted by Pamela Lim 1992. It was a tin majolica glaze with colours applied on top of the glaze - very different from most of our other work.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Wed 29 Oct - 14:50

Yay Welcome Catherine it will be great to have your help! Very Happy
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Catherine Anselmi Wed 29 Oct - 15:06

For all pots from the Catherine Anselmi studio:
The Crown Lynn stamp indicates that it was a Crown Lynn mould (shape) acquired and produced in the Catherine Anselmi studio. The Catherine Anselmi stamp indicates it was produced in the Catherine Anselmi studio. The letters or name indicate the person who painted it and usually the year was added.

If there is no name and date this usually means it was a production design that anyone in the studio could have painted.

We had permission from Ceramco to use the Crown Lynn stamp on shapes that originated in Crown Lynn.

So your piece is painted by Pamela Lim 1992. It was a tin majolica glaze with colours applied on top of the glaze - very different from most of our other work.

Catherine Anselmi

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 29 Oct - 15:11

Thank you so much for that information Catherine, it makes my bowl even more special to me now! sunny
Catherine, can I ask you to confirm that the bowl would be a Crown Lynn shape, because it has the stamp, as I would like to work out which shape it would be?

Last edited by mumof1 on Wed 29 Oct - 15:22; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add question)
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 25 Aug - 11:11

This mould that is up for auction at Kiwi Auctions looks like this shape.
There are no markings on the mould.
I'm sure that this is a Crown Lynn shape as Catherine has credited CL with their stamp and I would say it is from the later 1980's when there were few records that survived.

https://auctions.kiwiauctions.co.nz/lots/view/4-3D9UYR/crown-lynn-slip-mould?fbclid=IwAR0dG-fswkKDNdMcF2f79ZQbIbEMFNnFlhPco4Vz-Ndktqb1OQeThOJSpjk
Ev
Ev
Admin

mumof1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 25 Aug - 11:20

Thank you Ev, do you think it would be a 4 digit shape?
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 25 Aug - 11:26

Yes definitely a four digit number and we will have to wait for one to turn up.

I want to ask on the Fan Club to see if anyone has one.

Can I use your photo please?
Ev
Ev
Admin

mumof1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 2 Sep - 11:46

Gilligee is trying to identify the decorator of this piece.
I think it is Susan Firth.

Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators Img_0510

Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators Img_0511

Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators Img_0512
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators Empty Crown Lynn & Cathrine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl.

Post  Gilligee Thu 2 Sep - 13:36

Thank you very much Ev for that information.

Gilligee

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2021-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 2 Sep - 15:25

I'm not sure Gilligee an hope that others add their thoughts too.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  officer42 Sun 19 Mar - 18:00

The decorator is Sarah Ferguson. I have one of her fish platters with a similar mark. I guess the signature stretched out a bit on my piece because there's a lot more room to write.
Crown Lynn & Catherine Anselmi stamped fruit bowl !!  Plus list of decorators Casfdi10

officer42

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2019-10-27

Ev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum