NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase Empty Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase

Post  mumof1 Mon 10 Sep - 16:29

Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase Dsc02019
This is a high gloss white, with a black interior which extends to the outer top lip.
Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase Dsc02020
The stamp is a little hard to see as it is very faint, but is a Tiki with 2 stars, Crown Lynn, New Zealand and Hand Potted. There is no number etched into this vase. Why does this remind me of Frank Carpay?

Edits to say, this actually has a 3 etched, but it is ever so light, like the stamp. Thanks to Haselnuss for making me look again.

Last edited by mumof1 on Mon 26 Jan - 11:45; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Correction)
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase Empty Re: Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase

Post  Ev Mon 10 Sep - 18:33

You have a knack for finding unusual pieces that's for sure sunny
I see a lovely bulbous hand thrown shape, beautifully made.
No lathe was involved with this vase.
I don't see Carpay ... where is he hiding?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase Empty Re: Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase

Post  mumof1 Tue 11 Sep - 18:04

Oh I know it's nothing to do with Carpay, it's the black on white reminds me of one of his bowls I've seen with such a glossy glaze. Still an unusual hand potted though, and not like any in the gallery at the moment.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Mon 26 Jan - 9:07

Hello Mumof1, How tall is your vase? My one is 23.5cm tall with the same tiki & 2 stars plus hand potted.
It also has the number 3 incised.

If your one is the same height we can add the 3 to your picture in the gallery.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Mon 26 Jan - 11:49

Hi Haselnuss, I had a look at mine again, and there is in fact a 3 on it. Once I knew what I was looking for, it was easy to find. Mine has clean clear crazing, but as you can see from my pic, I had to darken it considerably to make the stamp show. Thank you for alerting me, mine is the same size. Remember, the number is the shape number, so the height could vary, but me thinks this one is probably only made in this size.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Mon 26 Jan - 11:53

That is great! Do you know how this shape Nr. 3 fits in with the other hand potted ones? There is already a shape .3 in the hand potted gallery.

Could this be a Steenstra shape Nr. and don't mean the 8 different green shapes.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Mon 26 Jan - 11:59

I have just realised it can't be a 3, I will have another look later, we have a small crisis happening right now I need to sort.
I can definitely see a 3, but that is so light that there could have been more that don't show. can we see you base please haselnuss, or the number anyways, and I will attempt mine later on.

Last edited by mumof1 on Mon 26 Jan - 13:07; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info)
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Mon 26 Jan - 13:52

This is going to be interesting. Hubby is taking the picture now.
I have had another look and can only see the number 3.

Both Steenstra & Carpay started at C/L in 1953 when they still used the Tiki stamp.

Carpay vases with Tiki stamp.
http://www.antiquesreporter.com.au/index.cfm/lot/474853-a-rare-crown-lynn-frank-carpay-decorated-vase-of-ovoid-form-a-wi/?prices=1
http://www.antiquesreporter.com.au/index.cfm/lot/558131-frank-carpay-ovoid-vase-a-rare-ovoid-vase-decorated-with-black-d/?prices=1

I am waiting for the delivery of a colourful Steenstra hand crafted vase with the incised 9 without the dot like the .9 in the gallery.

Mumof1 can you please have a look on the base of your Steenstra vases, that are not the green dotted ones, to see if any of them also have incised numbers.

Very interesting is this Carter's site. It has some Tiki Stamped Ernest Shufflebotham vases.

http://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm/index/199-crown-lynn-vases/
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Mon 26 Jan - 15:01

And here we have two "Experimental" series hand potted mallet bodied vases from the Jim Drummond collection.

One with cream/white exterior & grey/black interior at the mouth. Tiki mark.

The other yellow outer & grey/black mouth with incised 10.

http://issuu.com/artandobject/docs/cat_27_jd/10

Here is the picture of my vase including the 3.

Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase No_310
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Tue 27 Jan - 12:14

Haselnuss, I can't clearly decipher a number on any of my other vases, sorry. Here is a photo of the 3 on my vase, the colour in the second photo is very distorted blue to make it show
Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase Dsc04716
Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase Dsc04717
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 28 Jan - 8:19

Perhaps there was a range of these unusual long necked shapes that had their own series of numbers?  There is a photo of the shape 10 in the Art & Object Jim Drummond catalogue, but the other similar long necked shape Lot 3 doesn't have a number.
I can clearly see a 3 on sunny's blue photo.  
We should keep an eye out for more numbers and that C16 that sunny loaded earlier in the month looks like it is from this same series.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 28 Jan - 8:35

That is possible Ev, and I agree that the C16 is very similar to the number 10 in the catalogue. I wonder why the numbers are so faintly impressed compared to the white hand potted, as it is very difficult to see them. I looked at the C16 yesterday and came up with 216 also, possibly, maybe - they were obviously hand done before glazing. Perhaps they were not meant to be a number as such, I was thinking that they were like the fraction marks, where they experimented with different glazes combined with the white, and just noted on the base before glazing what they were going to try. The catalogue did say these were experimental vases.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 28 Jan - 9:01

My excitement is growing the more I think about these shapes.  We now have 4 different shapes in this long neck series.  Art & Object/Jim Drummond came up with the name Experimental and Mallet shaped.  The necks still have the throwing rings visible on all of these pieces so far and they look freshly made even though they are probably around 70 years old.  This style isn't the same as any other Hand Potted that I've seen and is distinct to the potter who made them.  They were all made by the same potter whoever that was.

Edits to add that Lot3 fetched $550 and Lot4 [the 10] fetched $350 at that auction in 2009.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 28 Jan - 9:56

I like the Portage description of concentric lines for all of these shapes. I would call them concentric rings which are made by the potter's hands and not smoothed off. They are like potter's fingerprints. The Portage have 4 different shapes in this style and shards too. I would like to check them out sometime at the Museum.

The first 4 shapes and some shards too
http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/esearch/object?a=3384&q=hand+potted%2Bconcentric
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Wed 28 Jan - 10:05

I am looking forward to what you find out at the Museum.

I noticed that this vase is a lot sturdier and the clay is much thicker than the other hand potted vases from that era.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 28 Jan - 10:10

I find this all rather exciting haselnuss, thanks to you and sunny for getting these Hand Potted shapes.  I don't go along with the Portage that these were made by Shufflebotham, or his apprentice as these are made by a very experienced potter who doesn't use a lathe .....
I can't wait for the Museum to open and hopefully it will be around the end of March all going well.

Edits to add that I have found 12 items at the Portage Museum that relate to this topic and also one lot of shards that have H and then a number on the base !!
I will check them all out when possible.

Last edited by Ev on Wed 28 Jan - 11:55; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 28 Jan - 10:14

The number 15 looks similar to my yellow 12 in the gallery
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 28 Jan - 10:17

Yes it does and does your 12 have concentric rings too?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 28 Jan - 10:18

It certainly does sunny
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 28 Jan - 10:22

I WANT one now !  I want to touch, to hold, to feel the weight, to sense the glaze, to see the glaze, to feel the concentric rings, etc etc etc etc

Edits to add:  Actually until I do hold one of these I won't know if the rings are made by hand or a machine, so I should just wait to make a definite decision on that point.

Last edited by Ev on Wed 28 Jan - 11:23; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Wed 28 Jan - 10:38

Well, Steenstra started in 1953 when they still used the Tiki stamp and he was a brilliant potter.

Now I won't be getting my incised 9 hand crafted vase until the end of next week and I am looking forward to compare the incised number 3 and 9 with each other.

I know that the hand crafted Steenstra vases were made in the 60th but who now's.

Also there was a lamp listing on Trade Me a few months ago which was advertised as possible Carpay because of the light purple painted bands around the mouth of the lamp.
The lamps shape was very similar to Mumof1 C10 hand potted vase and I am pretty sure had the Ticki stamp inside but was not signed by Carpay.

I don't know if it sold in the end.

Steenstra and the other hand potters made the vases for Carpay to decorate, he didn't throw them himself.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Sat 7 Feb - 16:30

My two hand crafted with the number 9 incised vases have arrived.

They are beautifully painted. One still has the original price sticker on the base.

Who potted and who painted them?

Another unusually shaped Hand Potted Vase Dscn6410
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 7 Feb - 16:54

Oh wow those are just super haselnuss :party:
The deep footring is a trademark of Daniel Steenstra.
I'm stunned to see that the price sticker is from George Courts which is just little more than a memory for most now.
No idea who would have painted these as there were so many decorators, but someone may know.
I'm soooooo jealous alien Lucky you though cheers
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 7 Feb - 17:01

Now about the number .....
The way it is written I would say it is a 6, with the angle of the long part of the number, but I need a couple of others to confirm this please. Will this shape go into the Hand Potted Gallery? Do we have a record of the Hand Crafted pots? Do the Hand Crafted pots have their own number sequence?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Sat 7 Feb - 17:08

I can't believe it myself that I managed to get them without anyone else noticing them. It was a long 7 day wait until I could purchase them and then a couple of weeks until they arrived undamaged in the Post.

I also think that they are potted by Steenstra and I am pretty sure that they were potted too late for Carpay to have decorated them.

I only know that the green dotted Steenstra vases had their own number system from 1 to 8.

As of the hand crafted vases I have not seen any information about a number system anywhere.

Mumof1 said that the numbers on the hand potted vases are read from the rim down which would make these a number 9 but Ev you are right too that they look like a 6 because of the long part of the number.
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t6011-nr-6-hand-potted-for-gallery-is-a-11cm-nr-9-after-all

My probable Steenstra vases without the hand crafted stamp have no incised numbers.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum