NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? EmptyYesterday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? EmptyYesterday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? EmptyYesterday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery?

4 posters

Go down

1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? Empty 1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery?

Post  mumof1 Thu 15 Nov - 8:56

1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? Teal_m10
I saw the auction for this large dumpy mug, and asked Alice if we could have some photos for the gallery, and she kindly obliged - Thank you Alice! (Miacam)
1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? Teal_c10
1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? Mug__c10
A comparison photo to give an idea of size.

Last edited by Ev on Fri 3 Apr - 18:15; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : missed detail)
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? Empty Re: 1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery?

Post  Ev Thu 15 Nov - 11:08

Haven't seen that one before !
Checked the records and 1393 entry says -
Large Rolled Cross Flower Pot (was 313)
Here is a 313....
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/gallery/Crown-Lynn-Shapes-Gallery/300-to-399/313-pic_3060.htm
So will wait for more info before putting it into the Gallery ......
Gosh those numbers look like they fit don't they??????
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? Empty Re: 1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 27 Nov - 14:57

I just spotted this during an internet search for something else.
As much as I’d like it in my hands to look at, and in my cupboard if it is CL I have a few reservations.

To the best of my knowledge shape number substitution/replacement was not a thing in the four digit days. With few exceptions the shape numbers are in chronological order. If this had been “the original” 1393 the replacement numbers (three digit to four digit) for the vase range would have been different, but likely still sequential. And if the vases were “original” use of this number, the cup would have been a different, larger, number. There are one hundred numbers unused (the 1500s) in the castware earthenware range, with numbers in the high 1400s being very late shapes, ie, the 1400s had not been used up when CL fell.

If this had been a CL cup I would expect it to be within the cups numbering (3000s) range because to me it looks like a cup with a stick-on handle not one cast in-situ. That said, I know for a fact that some 3000s cups were remade at times as castware.

By the time CL got to 1393, moulds were made so that the number sticks out rather than appearing impressed.

There is a fault in the footring, not something I would expect from CL.

The deco doesn’t look right to me either, but decos can be anything can’t they!

All that said, the general look would certainly have me asking if it was CL too.

Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Mon 28 Nov - 7:11

My first thought was that it looked liked Hornsea English pottery.
An image search brings this up. Looks simalar...
More research is required!!
There is a Hornsea Pottety group on FB, they could help? To confirm or eliminate that theory 🤔
The more i look at this i am thinking NOT hornsea lol

1393 large mug from Alice - Is this New Zealand pottery? Screen18
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2110
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum