NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Rugby Tankard with player 15 handle was not made by Titian - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Rugby Tankard with player 15 handle was not made by Titian - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Rugby Tankard with player 15 handle was not made by Titian - Page 2 EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Rugby Tankard with player 15 handle was not made by Titian - Page 2 EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Rugby Tankard with player 15 handle was not made by Titian - Page 2 EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Rugby Tankard with player 15 handle was not made by Titian - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Rugby Tankard with player 15 handle was not made by Titian - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Rugby Tankard with player 15 handle was not made by Titian - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Rugby Tankard with player 15 handle was not made by Titian - Page 2 EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

Rugby Tankard with player 15 handle was not made by Titian

+2
Ev
carisbrook
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rugby Tankard with player 15 handle was not made by Titian - Page 2 Empty Re: Rugby Tankard with player 15 handle was not made by Titian

Post  haselnuss Wed 27 Aug - 12:10

Just an idea. Could it be the Crown Lynn 1326 "Rugby Bear Mug" ? I just had the idea because of the 1340 mug which has a "different" look handle and is also the same kind of white.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Rugby Tankard with player 15 handle was not made by Titian - Page 2 Empty Re: Rugby Tankard with player 15 handle was not made by Titian

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 27 Aug - 13:47

Good arithmetic haselnuss. 2+2=4!

Date of production for 1326 is 7.5.80.

The player APPEARS to have a short sleeved jersey, which if accurate, could make it about the right time. I played rugby and league mid-70s and both codes still had long sleeves then.

I don't follow sports but I read above that the player is number fifteen, which make the game rugby (rather than league) and the player position the fullback.
Does the face match any famous fullbacks from late 1970s?

It really doesn't look like CL to me, with all that gilt and the modelled figure on the handle, but if it is then castware is the place for it.

I really don't want it to be tho cos I had my chance to buy one, albeit damaged, and passed on it.

Eds. Well I thought 15 was fullback. I remember being number 3 in league which is wing and I think rugby numbers the other way.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 27 Aug - 15:24

That is a great suggestion haselnuss and now we just have to wait for confirmation from ...... someone.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Wed 27 Aug - 17:06

The number on the shirt is a black 15.
It also has a big white glazed embossed "silver fern" on the back of the tankard.

I really don't know who made it and always thought that it was made by Titian which we have been told that it is not.
I have noticed that most of these tankards have been used a lot with rubbing to the gold from use or some other damage.

It is rather tall for a mug. Were Crown Lynn mugs of a similar size?

Then again, Crown Lynn used the gold on the Loving Cup, a few hand potted vases and some of the old tea sets. Also later on a few vases that I have got including a big four digit urn which is gold all over.

I think Heather has a lady lamp base that was painted gold too.

My thought on these later on gold colored painted pieces is that they might have used the gold paint on seconds to hide faults because the vases don't seem to have been perfect in the first place and the color is not permanently fired in because it washes of eventually.
Or there were people who decorated them themselves later on like it has happened with some of the black swans.
A vase with gold detail on Trade ME. http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/vases/auction-772967382.htm
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 8 Apr - 14:03

Jeremy called in today and showed me his Rugby tankard. It is rather large and is extremely light for it's size. It doesn't 'feel' like Crown Lynn or Titian and I am at a loss to come up with a maker. Mike looked at the figure on the handle and said with that hairstyle it has to be from the 1950's or 60's.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum