NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' ....

2 posters

Go down

Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... Empty Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' ....

Post  Ev Mon 10 Jun - 13:17

A Maestro with the Clay.....
Call it Grunty, or Earthy, or Manly, or releasing the form from the clay, Ian Smail has that magic touch.  Clay just flows through his fingers into breathtaking forms that are so loose they threaten to run away.
Unfortunately many of the photos that I thought I had taken are missing, but there are enough to show the ease of Ian's output.  Ian's overalls were thick with clay and were used like a towel, much to our amusement ....... ~.~

He threw a couple of bags of clay on the 1st day and started off with teapots ....
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... Ian_s10

Jugs ... there were audible gasps when Ian said, "Now I will just cut the lip for the spout."  A new technique for all to witness and it worked a treat Very Happy:D
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... Ian_11
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... Ian_10

Pouring Bowls ... a favourite of Ian's ....
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... Ian_bo10

This beautiful pot has lumps of quartz in it which will burst/crack through the clay ...
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... Ian_wa10

A photo of Ian's of a finished similar pot ...
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... Ian_ph10
A photo of Ian's of a fantastic Salt Glazed jug of his....
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... Smail10

Mugs and tea bowls ..... oops I don't seem to have any photos, but here is a photo taken by Ian of a mug of his.  Notice that his work only has slips, or ash over slip, or shino type glazes on them.
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... Ian_mu10

Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... Ian_sm11

The 2nd Day was spent finishing these pots and I only have one photo of this on my phone camera ....... so frustrating!!
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... Ian_ru10

A fabulous couple of days witnessing magic happen Very Happy
I would treasure a piece of Ian's work ......

At the end of the day we were delighted to watch a DVD of Ian going back over the years that was put together by Stuart Newby.  How lucky to also see the salt kiln being unloaded by a group of potters  cheers
Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... Ian__s10
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... Empty Re: Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' ....

Post  Kat & Co. Thu 12 Sep - 17:13

Ev, is it possible that the Stuart Newby above could have painted the brighly coloured CL cup & saucer I have in my shelves thread? its such an unusual name.
I just wondered if it was signed S Newby ?? cat 
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' .... Empty Re: Ian Smail workshop at Auckland Studio Potters' ....

Post  Ev Thu 12 Sep - 17:29

Gosh I really wouldn't think it was his work ...... could be wrong, but it's not what I see him doing. His marks are in the Potter's Marks book. He is a big collector now, rather than a potter and collects Warren Tippett and Denis O'Connor type of wares.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Thu 12 Sep - 17:45

No worries..still looking for an Arty Newby..! cat 
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 12 Sep - 17:49

That darn cat makes me laugh and so did your comment :O2laugh:
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum