NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak

2 posters

Go down

op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak Empty op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 29 Aug - 15:38

These may not count as treasures as such but...

Having decided last night not to get a set of Temuka Riverstone cups and saucers...

and instead opted for pairs of cups or mugs from representative commercial potteries
(have Temuka, Orzel, Claycraft on the way, looking at Te Rona)...

I now somehow find myself with a collection of seven Titian and Crown Lynn four digit castware mugs acquired from a variety of op-shops and second-hand shops within a couple of hours.

When will this madness end?!?

For the record there is nothing new. I have: 1160, 1161, 1222, 1241, 1242, 1281, and 1374.
1160 and 1161 both have hairlines so are only good for a display shelf. I can make up a six-set for possible use with an 1184 I got as part of a set on trademe.

Do people use these mugs or just shelf them?

Also seen on my travels:

1. Based on a just completed listing for an Adelaar (Orzel) lipstick holder,
I identified a toothbrush holder (?) from the same company, repaired in two places ($2, S Vincent de Paul, Whangarei, didn't buy, so it may still be there).

for an idea of what it's like, see the lipstick holder at:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=629749015

2. Royal Oak Lava Glaze coffee pot with a tiny chip on the spout ($5, Sallies Whangarei, again I walked on).

trademe is listing identical coffee pot, plus milk, sugar, and spoon jar for just $10. I decided I have no room for it:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/other-nz-manufacturers/auction-631725806.htm

I must say at this point that none of the above discoveries would have meant anything to me without information published in this forum. My knowledge base is growing.

Sorry but I can't find my camera charger and have no cell phone but, Ev, if you want a picture for the forum I can splash out $2 for the "toothbrush holder" when I go down town to the dentist tomorrow and sort it later.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Thu 29 Aug - 17:34; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : typo, typo, change title, embarrassing typo, add links)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak Empty Re: op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak

Post  bopmum Thu 29 Aug - 18:59

I'm with you Jeremy without this forum my knowledge was limited now I feel I have learnt so much and still happy to continue hunting for treasure new shapes an patterns.

I thought I would share with you my 2 favourite mugs shapes 1197 & 1149,  I'm not happy using any other mugs than these 2,  god forbid, if I break one.  I need to be hunting some spares I think.

I also have special CL mugs, Tea cups and saucers for when Mum and Dad come over.  So yes people do use these mugs,  well we do anyway.  Happy Hunting!

I'll share with the forum my new Mirek Smisek Vase over the weekend!

op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak Mugs10
bopmum
bopmum

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak Empty Re: op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 29 Aug - 19:20

The 1197 is very similar to the 1160, and I do like it. Unfortunately my 1160 is not fit to use. My Mum got some 1149s when I was a teenager (I think) and I've maintained a bit of an aversion to them ever since. I think I'll just keep picking these odd mugs up whenever I see them. I've just had a cruise thru CL and Titian mugs on tm. A few nice ones there but even if the prices were manageable the shipping kills any chance of a purchase, although I did make one exception last night, the 1184s, so art nouveau:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=631039867

Curiously I saw two of these in different locations and both were badly damaged.

Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  bopmum Thu 29 Aug - 19:25

I've never seen those 1184's before, nice! My 2 mugs were purchased separately but both were brand new, if they deteriorate I'll only have myself to blame for putting them in the dishwasher!
bopmum
bopmum

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 29 Aug - 20:08

You should look at the New Zealand Pottery Forum some time. They have heaps of useful information, he said sarcastically:

http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t2977-a-1184-mug-for-the-galley?highlight=1184

Actually I misread your byline and thought I was addressing mumof1, who wrote the 1184 topic!
The dark brown on hers looks really nice. The two I saw today were similar to mine in colour but the pattern less crisp. I suppose I could have picked them up at 50c each but who wants a lot of old broken china around the house!
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

op-shopping: Crown Lynn, Titian, Adelaar, Royal Oak Empty po-shopping for the ubiquitous Royal Oak

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 30 Aug - 15:39

No. No. No. No. Yes. No

So it appears I have gone from total ignorance to enlightenment.
It was there all the time but I did not know.
Having mentioned the Royal Oak Lava Glaze jug
and pondering whether I want any Royal Oak cups etc I think my answer is ultimately no. Or maybe but.

It appears that the four op-shops within easy walking distance of my house
all have pieces of Royal Oak:
cup/mugs, milk, sugar, spoon, and THE coffee pot.

The word is ubiquitous.
The ubiquitious Royal Oak milk jug.

Most of it is dirty and/or chipped.
Matt to satin glaze on crumbly base.
And not very nicely formed bottom.

I picked out the cheapest piece I could find at 50c to take home to check the tm listings.
It matches. Thought it was in good nick but a chip has appeared and disappeared as I write.

You probably have some of it at home too.
And your neighbour.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Sat 31 Aug - 0:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum