NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries. EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries. EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries. EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries. EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries. EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries. EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries. EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries. EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries. EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries.

3 posters

Go down

Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries. Empty Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries.

Post  Ev Sun 23 Feb - 10:17

This is being done to eliminate the many queries about shapes that look like others, but have a different number.  The descriptions should help to make it clear what has happened.  
For example: 1125 Forma Coffee Pot and 1206 Shorter Forma Coffee Pot.  
So two Forma Coffee Pots show up in the Gallery, but they are different.

I understand why the questions arrive as I do make mistakes and am pleased when anyone informs me about them.  My memory is dodgy at the best of times now too, so I need all the help I can get Razz 

The descriptions are from the Crown Lynn records and I am putting them on exactly  as they were written.  I'm not changing anything and if there is no description I don't make one up and leave it blank.
There are some really funny ones like the 1160 Amoeba Coffee Mug .... hehee

As there are so many shapes now it will take me some time to put the descriptions on them all, but I've already done a good portion of the Four Digit Gallery and I'm learning more all the time I'm working on them Very Happy

Check them out to see what the descriptions are for the shapes that you have contributed.

Last edited by Ev on Mon 3 Mar - 19:18; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries. Empty Re: Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries.

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 23 Feb - 11:47

Yes, Ev, sounds like another big job you've set for yourself.

I think it's a great idea, as the gallery pics are necessarily small and sometimes don't give enough info for a positive ID. I was going to offer as an example the 1116s on trademe that I asked you about last week but unfortunately it is not a helpful example as I see the description makes no mention of the grooved/ribbed sides.

How about this one to add even more work for you and I know galleries cost (or is it just the pics in galleries that cost?) but here goes:

Where an item has not yet been identified and we have no picture, but you do have a number and description from the notes, why not put those in the gallery without picture or a space filler.

With that system in place, when new shapes appear, without numbers, we have a one stop database, avoiding the need to search through numerous topics as well, to see where an item might fit the grand scheme.

It would also point out any holes, ie places in the gallery where you have found no numbers in the notes. As the numbering is also chronological we might assume that there should not be any holes, but until the complete chronological/numerical order is laid out in one place it's hard to know that.

As the number of items (which for me read mugs) is constantly changing with new additions it is hard to know how much storage/display space to allow.
When I started collecting the 1000-1599 mugs I counted about 70 in the gallery, and I never thought I would get anywhere near that, but now as I DO approach 70 I still see many in the gallery I don't yet have.

The number in the gallery has increased, and I guess will continue to do so, so eventually, which could be years now as the ones we have yet to see must be pretty rare, I could be looking at needing space for 100 or even more.

My current plan for display is a cabinet to house either 99 or 100 relatively tightly packed or less with a bit of spacing. That's a shelf unit about 1.5 x 1 metre and about 90mm deep. I've found a piece of wall for it!
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries. Empty Re: Descriptions are being added to the Crown Lynn Shapes Galleries.

Post  Ev Sun 23 Feb - 12:13

I totally agree with your suggestion about having the description in the gallery if there is no photo. Tony did this for some shapes in the Three Digit Gallery and JanPots has done the odd one in the Four Digit Gallery. I haven't found a way to do it successfully myself, but have considered it many times. I'm sure it is the next step to improve on what we have. The description would add to the Galleries storage space, but so would a photo if we had one.
I might just count the mugs to let you know how much room you need Jeremy  Laughing 
There are at least 126 Mugs that I can see at a quick count between 1000 and 1500 !!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 23 Feb - 12:42

I'm being just a wee bit selective, so I hope my target will be less than that.
I decided to stick with the coffee theme and avoid soup mugs, which cuts out a few. (I did, however pick up the 1192 from Linda because it's a Basalt piece.) I'm also easy on tankards so that might knock out a few more. I have an Air NZ beaker, sorry "Goblet" displayed with my mugs because I happened to have it, and it fits the general scale.

If your count already excluded those then I'm going to feel seriously inadequate.
Well, I must be at least halfway anyway so it's downhill from here ISN'T IT?

Looking good so far btw! I'll have to go through and read them now.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 26 Feb - 14:30

Boom!  All of the Crown Lynn descriptions have been added to the photos and Museum pics and some have such romantic titles from forgotten times like Mantle Vases and Troughs .... so many troughs and Urns ..... many, many urns Smile  Gone are the days of having a mantlepiece above the fireplace which was pride of place for vases and ornaments.
How about the title 'Brain-wave Trough' for the 661 which we haven't got yet Very Happy

The next step is to add descriptions to the galleries for shapes that we don't have yet and there will be literally many 100's of these!  I've been playing around with ways of doing this and have found a satisfactory method and will add them from time to time.  No hurry really as I don't plan to go anywhere!  Not sure where to start, but will try to do a block of numbers at a time, so that it is finished before I start another.
Dates will be added to those shapes that have the first date made available.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 27 Feb - 12:54

A list of the shapes that we don't have photos of, but we do have descriptions for the 1 to 881 Three Digit Gallery is very interesting to see I think.
112 - Long Oval Trough 13"
163 - Ashtray
193 - Monkey
324 - Small Imitation Hand-thrown 7"
325 - Large Imitation Hand-thrown 8"
436 - Heart Trough
439 - Small round dish or Ashtray
440 - Small round dish or Ashtray
441 - Small round dish or Ashtray
442 - Small round dish or Ashtray
443 - Small round dish or Ashtray
450 - Squat Vase
451 - Squat Vase
452 - Squat Vase
453 - Squat Vase
497/7/9 - Flower Pot Base
576 - Rustic Fence Vase
578 - Large Brick Vase
583 - Round Hanging Pot [Vertical Flutes]
591 - Small Round Cactus Pot [4 in 1] or could that be 4" ?
629 - Flower Pot base to suit 626 - 628
647 - Two Bamboo Vase

Last edited by Ev on Thu 6 Mar - 16:01; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 2 Mar - 14:10

A list of the completed Gallery descriptions without pics - [for my own reference]
There are 20 Galleries to do and it should help us to find these missing shapes hopefully!  
[492 shapes all up that we don't have photos/drawings but we do have descriptions]
[1.5 Galleries left to do !!][151 descriptions left to do]

Wharetana Ware Gallery - 4

1 - 881 Three Digit Galleries -

01 - 99    - 0
100 - 199 - 3
200 - 299 - 0
300 - 399 - 2
400 - 499 - 11
500 - 599 - 4
600 - 699 - 2
700 - 799 - 15
800 - 881 - 19        
Total ........ 56

Four Digit Galleries -

1000 - 1599 - 72
1600 - 1817 - 19
2000 - 2610 - 38
3000 - 3100 - 28
3600 - 3640 - 23
4000 - 4999 - 83
5000 - 5040 - 43
6000 - 6650 - 14 [though I don't have the vitrified jugs records!
7000 - 7021 - 3
8010 - 8810 - 42

Total .......... 282

Last edited by Ev on Mon 17 Mar - 16:40; edited 26 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 3 Mar - 19:09

Well the 2000 - 2610 Artware is worth checking now all of the descriptions have been added. Some ever so interesting items like the 2022 Burmese Girl, 2024 Princess, 2026 Fawn, even a 2151 Small Kiwi.
Have fun!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 19 Mar - 9:11

..... and the Mission continues, as I've chosen to accept the challenge that when I have finished loading the descriptions I will then add diagrams that are in the records, as there are plenty for the four digit numbers and this will help to find the blighters! Oh and I will gradually add dates to all of the descriptions too, as that really helps when it comes to the Crown Lynn story.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 20 Mar - 16:49

Ev,

I see you've started on the diagrams. Great.

It looks like just the three so far but you have already piqued my interest.

1015, lid for spice jar 3011.

We see plenty of these jars (3011s) but all with wooden stoppers.

The 1015 is a complex shape, very much in contrast to the cans that they would sit on.

My question here is:
Is the presence of a shape number and a sketch any guarantee that the shape actually went into production?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 20 Mar - 17:08

I'm thinking out loud here as I don't really know the answer, but there are many modellers drawings without numbers designated to them, which I guess are ideas. This is in what is called the Crown Lynn Shape Guide, not from the Modellers log book, so it would be quite accurate I feel. There isn't a First Date Made for this number, but there are many shapes around this time without dates. Today was the first time that I realised what the lid was for and I was surprised too  Shocked 
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 20 Mar - 18:58

I know I have the Shape 25 Salt and Pepper somewhere !!!!
But now I must go and cook so that we can eat sometime tonight.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 20 Mar - 22:50

Ev, It is interesting to see that the drawings added to the gallery are a mix of Auckland and Christchurch pieces.

You said above that they all come from the Crown Lynn Shapes guide.

I'm curious to know where the design process took place.

That is, whether everything was designed in Auckland or someone at Luke Adams took a role in designing of the pieces made at Luke Adams.

The Christchurch pieces are quite distinctive, with all that ribbing, banding etc they are very potter-ly.

I guess one reason for this would be that those shapes were designed specifically for the  Luke Adams glazes.

Even pieces not specifically mentioned in the Luke Adams list as having Basalt or Lucow glaze may still have those glazes, thinking particularly of the 1037, just identified.

Also, I guess the odd 1064 I have in Lucow, but which appears in the numbered gallery example in a totally different glaze.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 21 Mar - 6:00

Rufus told us that all of the shapes that were made at the Titian factory were designed and modelled at Crown Lynn  and it seems that Luke Adams were the same, as the Mark Cleverley coffee set confirms this really.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 23 Mar - 15:57

Sorry, but that is all of the diagrams that I have until I go to the Museum again.
Though I don't think that there are too many more to come.
Still adding dates and cross referencing now, plus I'm adding vit for vitrified ware or E/W for earthenware to the Three Digit Galleries as there is no indication to say which is which.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 30 Mar - 15:09

Finished :thud: :party:
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Sun 30 Mar - 15:18

whoop whoop - a fantastic & awesome effort, Ev - as I know, half of these descriptions are really hard to read !! and not mention the uploading of images it all takes time..
 cheers cheers cheers
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2110
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 23 Apr - 8:35

All of the First Made Dates that are available have now finished being added !
Gah I'm glad that's over and how interesting to see that Brick Clay was still being used for tiles in 1976 .... see 8027 and 8028.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 1 Jun - 9:41

Three months have passed since adding descriptions and I thought I would clear out any descriptions that now have photos in my files ...... and there were 98 to delete!!
Bravo Well Done everyone. Still a long way to go though as I seem to recall 476 descriptions were added and then I came across many more that were added.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 22 Sep - 16:33

Another 3 months plus since the descriptions were loaded for the galleries and 31 more photios of shapes have replaced the descriptions.
So that makes a total of 129 now.
Bravo, Well Done, Great Effort everyone Very Happy
I know that we have a lot of shapes already on the site just waiting to be identified ..
We will hunt them out and find them just you wait and see Wink
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum