NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
The Garden Party and China Blue platters  EmptyYesterday at 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
The Garden Party and China Blue platters  EmptyYesterday at 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
The Garden Party and China Blue platters  EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
The Garden Party and China Blue platters  EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
The Garden Party and China Blue platters  EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
The Garden Party and China Blue platters  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
The Garden Party and China Blue platters  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
The Garden Party and China Blue platters  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
The Garden Party and China Blue platters  EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

The Garden Party and China Blue platters

2 posters

Go down

The Garden Party and China Blue platters  Empty The Garden Party and China Blue platters

Post  Maryr Sun 13 Apr - 10:49

I have two big platters, identical in size and shape, one by The Garden Party and one by China Blue. There is already info on this site about The Garden Party, see link below.  My GUESS is that China Blue bought blanks from The Garden Party, which is much bigger than I realised.  In brief, The Garden Party was set up in Ponsonby, Auckland in 1993 by Pamela Lim.  Before long she had established a factory next door with 'four kilns running hot' and was exporting to Hong Kong, Australia and the UK, as well as selling widely in NZ. Her 'kiwiana inspired dinner sets' were especially popular - I would LOVE to see some examples!  The Garden Party moved to Waiheke in 2009, and is now rebranded as Factory Ceramics under a new owner.
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t4481-the-garden-party-platter?highlight=garden
Here is my The Garden Party platter, 41.5 cm wide, decorated with stylised NZ kaka beak flowers.

The Garden Party and China Blue platters  X_the_16
The Garden Party and China Blue platters  X_the_17
And here is China Blue, identical in size and shape.
The Garden Party and China Blue platters  X_chin14
The Garden Party and China Blue platters  X_chin15

Last edited by Maryr on Sun 13 Apr - 10:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add link)
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

The Garden Party and China Blue platters  Empty Re: The Garden Party and China Blue platters

Post  Ev Sun 13 Apr - 11:04

It was a great Garden Party shop in Ponsonby Road as it was so colourful and so Kiwi !!
I'm wondering if both business's bought blanks that are available to anyone, as I don't recall the Garden Party having enough room to do slip casting at Ponsonby. Unlike Steiner and Petra and Studio Ceramics who did make their own moulds, but this took up heaps of space.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

The Garden Party and China Blue platters  Empty Re: The Garden Party and China Blue platters

Post  Maryr Mon 14 Apr - 9:22

Their website says that for a start she had a kiln behind the shop but later they had a factory next to their shop, and they bought a plate-making machine from Morris and James, so they probably did make their own plates. I will have to (finally) buy a Morris and James platter to compare.  But the prices even in charity shops make me gulp a bit.
http://www.gardenpartyfactory.co.nz/about/our-history/

Last edited by Maryr on Mon 14 Apr - 9:24; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit!)
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 14 Apr - 10:09

Great sleuthing Maryr !!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Thu 13 Jul - 14:56

Here is another Garden Party platter. This one has a Morris and James mark on the base as well. They bought a platemaking machine from Morris and James. O I love these bright carefully hand-decorated platters. Thank you Garden Party for making them.
The Garden Party and China Blue platters  Garden11
The Garden Party and China Blue platters  Garden10
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum