NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases. EmptyYesterday at 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases. EmptyYesterday at 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases. EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases. EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases. EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases. EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases. EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases. EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases. EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases.

Go down

Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases. Empty Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases.

Post  Ev Thu 14 May - 14:36

I want to find out more about these competent potters who made ware for Crown Lynn in answer to the Studio Pottery boom.
They only used terracotta clay and used the old tiki and three stars stamp.

Last edited by Ev on Mon 10 Aug - 8:29; edited 2 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases. Empty Re: Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases.

Post  Ev Tue 24 Nov - 17:53

This ashtray of John's is typical of their glaze work:
Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases. Crown_17
and the base:
Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases. Crown_18
To my potters eyes this looks like a Rhodes piece!
Thanks for the photos John.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases. Empty Re: Olive and Arthur Rhodes ... were a myth.... Steenstra made these vases.

Post  Ev Thu 3 Mar - 16:40

I found one of these ashtrays in an opshop today cat
I wouldn't be surprised if this is made from 'New Lynn' clay -
as it is full of unexpected impurities and looks similar to the New Lynn trench clay that I tried.
It looks like it has been handmade ..... there are throwing rings on the inside base ...
and the lower outside and base appears to have been trimmed as that is where the impurities show up.
The colour is the most insipid whishy-washy earthenware colour and has a clear glaze all over.
The piece has been low fired on a three pointed stilt.
The texture around the top is in the same style as all of the Rhodes pieces that I've seen pics of.
The Crown Lynn tiki and three stars stamp is from around 1948 - 1950.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 18 May - 11:52

I have tried to find out more about this couple using old Electoral Rolls, but without success.
Today however Ancestry.com.nz has all of the Electoral Rolls available in digital form to search for free. Luckily I remembered about Olive and Arthur, but I have searched every which way I can think of and nothing turns up for a husband and wife with these names ..... anywhere in NZ !! Here is the link which is only free to search for the weekend in case someone else wants to have a go ..
http://search.ancestry.com/Places/New%20Zealand/Default.aspx

Perhaps they moved around a lot and missed the Electoral Roll Registration? But surely they would have been picked up in time.
Another thought is that they used their second names instead of their given names ....?
Or perhaps they were visitors from England and only stayed a couple of years?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum