NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery. EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery. EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery. EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery. EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery. EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery. EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery. EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery. EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery. EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery.

+5
mumof1
Ev
Isobela
Cat-a-lat
mike67
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery. Empty Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery.

Post  mike67 Fri 2 May - 10:22

I don't seem to be able to stop myself buying salt pigs. Have had the big one for years and use it as you can see. Was wondering what these salt pigs may be. Brown, obvious mold lines and flat bottomed much like Orzel and Royal Oak. Cheers, Mike
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mike67
mike67

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2014-02-22

Back to top Go down

Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery. Empty Re: Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery.

Post  Cat-a-lat Fri 2 May - 12:17

LOL, you're not the only one with a "thing" for salt pigs, though I do prefer the hand potted variety! I have actual 'pig' salt pigs, a pumpkin salt pig and even an aubergine shaped one as well as a number of variations on more conventional salt pig shapes.

I must get them all together at some point for a photoshoot!
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery. Empty Salt pigs

Post  Isobela Tue 13 May - 12:52

Hi there these are most defiantly Benhar pottery salt pigs, I collect these too.
Benhar /Mcskimmings pottery  in Benhar Clutha. I used to hate that kind of glaze but now it's really grown on me.

bom 

Isobela

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-05-13

Back to top Go down

Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery. Empty Re: Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery.

Post  Ev Tue 13 May - 14:55

Thanks so much for that Isobela. It's great to get those identified Smile
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Tue 13 May - 22:21

Yes thanks for that ID. I didn't appreciate these when I first got the large salt pig but now I have really grown to like them. I have a few more pieces that might be Benhar and if you could offer an opinion when I put them up here it would be much appreciated. Cheers, Mike
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Mon 2 Jun - 15:37

I have a number of items that have the same glaze as my salt pigs. Up close the glaze and the mud brown body colour showing on the bottom is identical on these items below.

As well I posted  photo of a Temuka Fire Brigade tankard that I thought would have to have been made in the South. It has a M S in a circle mark. IDed as Stephen McCarthy.

Lastly I have a lidded container that looks very much like the one in the McSkimmings stand photograph on page 48 of Gail Henry's book(1999) and then in close up on page 50 (top photo, bottom shelf in the middle). The glaze is very similar to the jug with the white band on page 5 of the colour insert.

Last edited by mike67 on Mon 2 Jun - 16:31; edited 1 time in total
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Mon 2 Jun - 16:14

I think the Temuka Volunteer Fire Brigade mug was made by Stephen McCarthy!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Mon 2 Jun - 16:30

Thanks very much,that is the same mark...one mystery solved. Cheers, Mike
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 2 Jun - 17:14

Ummm Stephen McCarthy must be an excellent modeller/mould maker as well as a fantastic studio potter as that mug has been slip cast.  That is rather unusual to find.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Mon 2 Jun - 18:12

Yes I thought it may have been a McSkimming mark from Benhar. But apart from being a printed version the marks are identical so I guess that is what it is.

Last edited by mike67 on Mon 2 Jun - 18:49; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bad spelling)
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Mon 2 Jun - 18:26

Ev is it too soon to ask for a Benhar gallery? Very Happy 
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 2 Jun - 19:56

No of course it isn't too soon. If that is what the members want, then so be it Very Happy
It certainly gives a good idea of the style of a pottery when you see pieces all laid out in a Gallery. A bit late today, but will get it up when I can.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Tue 3 Jun - 8:51

Sweet its nice to not have the Gallery storage space limits we use to have!  cat 
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Tue 3 Jun - 13:36

Hey Jeremy the 3 Jars in Hospice are like the Tea canister(left) above they do look like Parker pottery.. but the lids are heavy..like Benhar.
I'm looking forward to when we have really comprehensive galleries of all NZ pottery & identifying will be so much easier!
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Tue 3 Jun - 14:08

Kat I have a couple of these, plus (ERK) a couple of recently purchased taller ones with the same half-glazed effect. I am not sure who made them, so haven't yet put them on the site, but I am pretty certain they are not Parker, they look too clunky to be honest. Until recently I wondered if this style was a very small operator, but there does seem to be a reasonable amount of it around. I have seen it in Whangarei, Kerikeri and Orewa.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Tue 3 Jun - 16:09

There is lots of it from Wanganui to Wellington as well. Those taller ones are very much in evidence. All the lids I have seen are poorly fitting and heavy. Nothing like the crispness of the Parker items I have. Clay colour and glaze identical to what is found on the Benhar salt pigs tho.
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 3 Jun - 16:33

Kat, I know the ones. Mike has called them Benhar and I guess he knows. Heavier all over, and bigger writing than the Parker stuff. It's great to know what they are even if I don't like them though as I have seen them knocking around from back when I started regular op shopping, getting on for 6 months ago. Such a lot has been resolved in that time.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Tue 3 Jun - 17:26

Nah....I dont really know what they are...just guessing. Very ugly I know and I have only ever acquired two because of this. The ill-fitting lids annoy me the most. This version solves that problem. Quite a bit bigger than the tea container.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Tue 3 Jun - 21:23

This small bowl has the same blotchy brown glaze that the old lidded pot has (that I suspect is early Benhar) and glimpses can be seen in the photos of McSkimmings stands.
Had trouble getting the colour accurate!
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 5 Jun - 8:40

I've set up the Benhar Gallery, but need confirmation for the Coffee and Tea caddies. Also what is that little pot beside the tea caddy, it needs a name?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Thu 5 Jun - 19:58

Yes it is looking very good already.
That container is 100 mm high and 82 mm across at the base, narrowing to 64 mm across the top. It looks as if it should have a cork. What to call it.... I would say it was a small storage container but you probably have a wider range of appropriate terms than me. It has the same roughish foot ring, the same clay colour and glaze colour that the lidded Benhar jar has. If you are happy that is Benhar then this would have to be as well. Do you know if the lidded crock with the same top as the jar is marked. Cheers
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 6 Jun - 6:11

Thanks and sorry I'm not sure which one you mean Mike.
There is one lidded crock, but it's not the same shape as the jar.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Fri 6 Jun - 8:00

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I just meant that the two lids looked as if they were the same. Flat edge then the rise and knob. The same form as the very old Benhar lidded container I have as well. I see you have put the tea and coffee caddy in the gallery as well. Are attributing these by glaze or style? I thought they may have been when you see them next to marked items. Cheers
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 6 Jun - 10:22

Actually I have no ideas if the caddies are Benhar or not, but they can go there until proven otherwise.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Salt Pig Obsession .... these are made by Benhar pottery. Empty Crofter Ware Stamp - McSkimming Industries

Post  mumof1 Fri 6 Jun - 11:12

Mike, your tea container is from the Crofter Ware range
this is the same as yours, but without the lid
and the stamp
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down