NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Pink swan query EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Pink swan query EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Pink swan query EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Pink swan query EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Pink swan query EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Pink swan query EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Pink swan query EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Pink swan query EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Pink swan query EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

Pink swan query

4 posters

Go down

Pink swan query Empty Pink swan query

Post  guest from the Northshore Mon 19 May - 11:13

Hi there, I am hoping that someone can help me identify a lovely pink swan.  I currently have it on Trademe under the name "possible Crown Lynn - Pink Swan.  I have had lots of comments and ideas of it's origin but so far my investigation has come up blank.  I have contacted the Glen Eden ceramic studio, of which we had a lengthy discussion - they say it is definitely not one of their Retro Lynn reproductions.  Any suggestions would be welcome,   I'm unsure as this one came from an estate, so I'm not yet convinced it's a repro.  many thanks for your time.

guest from the Northshore

Back to top Go down

Pink swan query Empty Re: Pink swan query

Post  mumof1 Mon 19 May - 11:44

This is the auction in question http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=730659053
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 19 May - 12:35

It looks like a Studio Ceramics swan to me as I bought one a couple of years ago for a 21st.  Studio Ceramics have been making these for quite a few years now and initially they didn't mark them.  I heard that after an outcry from Crown Lynn collectors they started to put their stamp on them.
Chris Harvey who worked at Crown Lynn, started making these swans and has now retired and new people run the Studio Ceramics factory.
I've never seen a pink Crown Lynn swan before and never seen one with these dimensions.  However check out this auction and you will find a marked Studio Ceramics Pink Swan in the same size as yours.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/other-nz-manufacturers/auction-722246114.htm
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Pink swan query Empty re pink swan

Post  dollcrown Mon 19 May - 13:40

I also have one of these pink swans and I think they could be from Australia maybe. The criss/cross pattern under it's chest is not present on the Crown Lynn swans. I would be happy if it was Crown Lynn.

dollcrown

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Mon 19 May - 13:56

I have just checked my Chris Harvey notes. He told me Studio Ceramics did a pink swan. He also told me their replicas are smaller than the Crown Lynn large swans, so advertiser, you might be able to check the measurements of yours against a marked Crown Lynn example.  (I asked Chris about pink swans because there was a TV advert with a pink swan - can't remember offhand but I think it was insurance or something. It screened in October/November 2013).  
To my knowledge Crown Lynn  never did an all-over pink swan - even Heather doesn't have one!  And also, it would be very surprising to find a Crown Lynn swan in this shape that was not numbered and/or marked with a Crown Lynn backstamp.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum